Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Ancient Roman Coins - Real Or Modern Bulgarian Forgeries?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CharlesTheBald to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently came into possession of two ancient Roman Denarius coins which I had reason to be suspicious of and I had checked out. The results came back that they were indeed real silver, but were unsure if they were authentic or not. My question, based upon pictures provided, are these two Roman coins real or modern Bulgarian forgeries (fakes)? Looking for a good opinion from someone who knows ancient Roman coins better than myself and those I know. Thank you.

First: Roman Imperial Balbinus AR Denarius, 238 AD, weight: 2.71 g, size: 17 mm

Second: Roman Repulic Julius Caesar (Elephant War Mint) AR Denarius, 49-48 BC, weight: 3.65 g, size: between 16 and 19 mm (unsure)

Please see attached pictures (obverse and reverse) of each for more details.

Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey-
You have hit the jackpot if these are genuine. Better pic on the Balbinus would help. The elephant coin is one of the most faked ancients. I have checked the Balbinus fakes and have not found a match yet. Still looking. Here is a pic of a genuine one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4408 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Charles.

For comparison of the Balbinus, here's the OP coin with a couple of reproductions - each stamped with an "R." Not sure if it's a match (the top pic is so fuzzy) but, even if everything lines up, I'm not sure this disqualifies the OP coin. The casts could have been taken from a legit coin of the same dies.

Can we assume there is no evidence of a filled "R" on the OP coin? Any evidence of casting or filing?
Edited by Bob L
09/20/2019 10:32 pm
Learn More...
United States
22567 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Need better pictures of the first coin. Do you have any provenance where the coins came from and who might have owned them.

As pendrak stated these are two pricey coins and are often faked.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CharlesTheBald to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for responding. I am including what I hope to be better pics, it looks like trying to get these down to less than 300K is killing the quality. Any thoughts on the Caesar coin or do I need better pictures on that as well? Please advise.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4408 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much better pics. Here are a couple that may be from the same dies:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=940716
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2530251
Valued Member
Canada
257 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are fakes...
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CharlesTheBald to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone for your assistance with these coins, it is greatly appreciated.
Learn More...
United States
77153 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05