Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Haze Spots On Washington Quarters. What Are They?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  10:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I picked up a few quarters. Seem decent and not expensive. When I hold the coins at extreme angles, I can see a light haze in a few spots. Seems to be mostly at the high points. I'm wondering what they are and whether or not I need to worry about it.

I decided to dip them in acetone and then rinse with fresh acetone. These photos are from after the acetone dip. Light spots, or haze spots, are still there. Any thoughts?

The last one in the group is the most egregious, and it has not had any acetone treatment yet. The others, again, have had acetone, but also weren't this hazy to begin with, not even close.

Thank you!

Edited by Numisto
09/22/2019 10:51 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13132 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dj, can you please confirm that you used pure acetone for the bath, as opposed to something like nail polish remover?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Pure hardware store acetone. And, the haze was there before the dip.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17440 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spotty toning or haze is usually from three sources. Either the coin was dipped and the acid ate through the surface more slowly in the toned areas.

Or a dipped silver coin is not flushed properly afterwards and the spots are caused by remaining dip.

But I think the third option is most likely for these coins. If coins in 2x2's are stored in a moist environment, the mildew that develops often causes very tiny spots forming that haze.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41384 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's spot on.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

So they've all been dipped in fresh acetone and then rinsed in more fresh acetone. Nothing happened with the haze. Still there. Does that give any more insight as to what is there? And, is the grading lowered or ruined?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17850 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to tell if Acetone was used but they all might have been dipped at some point.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mean that I dipped them in acetone and rinsed in acetone and it didn't make any difference with the haze on there. Does that help know what the problem is. Or, is there no problem?
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I'm seeing the '56 looks like scuffs caused by that early mylar used in mint set packaging. Those are notoriously hazardous for long term storage. As far as dipped? The 1941 perhaps.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18556 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This comes up a lot. Even on a TV coin show a guy named Rick was showing many coins right form the US Mint with those spots or similar ones and some with haze. It was not explained what they are from for sure and I've read many stories here and other places about them and yet, just no one seams to know for sure. Lots of maybe this or maybe that but nothing provable.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't want to hijack the thread but I have 4 or so 1960s mint sets in the original packing. Should I repackage?! /WORRY! First I had heard of this...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05