Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 5 Dollar Gold - Grade And Value

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  10:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know the pictures aren't up to par. I'm in the market for one of these and I have a trusted seller who I've purchased bullion from over the past 5 years. He's asking $600.00

I've seen a few on eBay go for $500-600. What would the approximate grade be and how much should I offer him?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7628 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU50
All this is very subjective,the price is between you and the seller, you have to do your homework and decide on your own.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41293 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly appears to be AU and worth just bullion value as such. You do the math.
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! My question about price was more directed towards at what grade does this bring in a premium above melt.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blow torch able , worth spot gold !
Valued Member
Canada
491 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has to be at least MS63-MS64
MS65 is all gravy
Pillar of the Community
United States
5370 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree with Pacificcoin. It is a personal belief that melting any coin for bullion value is extremely distasteful. Any self respecting numismatist with an ounce of decency would never deface a coin, much less melt it. Even if it brings no premium, I'd rather have a gold coin with history than a dinky bar. It frustrates me that people see the destruction of 'bullion' value coins as an acceptable practice. You want to melt a gold coin? Melt a gold maple leaf, leave monetary gold and silver alone. It frustrates me to see people clean even modern 'junk' silver. Even if it had no premium, you just permanently destroyed it, it escaped alteration for it's existence only to be destroyed by someone who is vain enough to think that just because it brings no enjoyment to them, and is worth little, it may be important to someone else. Sorry for venting, I hate the idea of destroying numismatic history, or any coins.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you on that grapes. I'm sure it's a heck of a time trying to sell an ugly chunk of melted .900 gold that hasn't be assayed. Doesn't sound like a smart investment at all.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15875 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins never saw any real circulation, and I guess the population of MS++ graded examples would be the most common.
Exceptionally good fakes of these were made, from recycled genuine coin gold.

Can't grade this one from the pictures, but for MS 60 and above,
have a look at the diamonds in the head band:- all four vertical diamond pairs should all be perfectly distinct, and sharply struck up. The orb bands on top of the crown should quite distinct. All beard detail below the ear, moustache and eyebrow detail should be distinct.

If they aren't, then AU55 or less.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many of these available in NICE Mint State for little over gold price .
That is why a circulated one is NOT desirable .
You take the one pictured to a reliable coin dealer , same answer worth melt less a few points .
Buy a nice one lots are available !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1178 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF45
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where are you guys finding nice ones. EBay only has a couple selling for double melt. Colonial Acres is sold out online and so is gate west
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41293 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel - You see no wear on the lower crown band?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
996 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold is at a a 8 year high (in terms of $CAD) and approaching the 2011-12 levels in USD. I think pacific said it best (some may not like it), but low grade gold is going into the pot. Graded 1913 $5 MS 63 are on ebay in the 600-700 CAD range, take out ebays cut and your at $550-$600, which is not much above spot. The prices are probably negotiable as well.

If I was looking to cash out on melt value coins, I would be taking them to bullion buyers and avoiding the ebay/other auction fees as that maximizes my return. It is sad, but I'm not sure how many people are willing to buy a low grade coin at melt value, when you can pickup a nice MS 63 for 10-15% more.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  12:29 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are way more coins than any of us will ever have money to buy .
At 2 K an ounce CAD I took every common and semi Numismatic gold coin I had and refined it all .
Over 40 ounces straight into the melting pot . Do I feel guilty , not a hope !
I will never look back , it was a prudent thing to do !
Having been in this game as a dealer for well over 40 years , I have seen gold at 200 and 2000 .
Still seems way too many coins around .
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To each their own pacificoin. Whatever you gotta do to make a few bucks.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05