Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Silver Bullion Turn Up At Local Coin Shop

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  06:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I liked the reverse design
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15868 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many of us here in the CCF know of the
Burton Mint of Beverley Hills?
Are they a marketer only, or do they actually mint bullion coins?

There are so many different types of unknown silver bullion rounds out there, that makes me think:-
If you are going to buy an unknown silver bullion round it would be best to test that it it is not a silver plated round, with a non silver core or a silver core of less than 1000 fine.
The best way to find out is to do an electric conductivity test, and compare the electrical resistance against a known genuine pure 1000 fine silver round.

Unfortunately, if on eBay, doing the test prevents you from making an immediate purchase at a good rice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might have been a one and done deal, Could only find this one round out there for sale and zero info on the "Mint"! Despite what a couple of the sale sights claim as it being rare there seems to be enough out there being offered. I wouldn't buy silver from the ebay with all the crap/fakes out of China . And other than the rsre occasion of buying any item from a known Bullion house or LCS. You are right you are taking more of a chance.
Learn More...
United States
77064 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17350 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rounds that do not include the silver content are even more suspect. There are tons of silver plated rounds that don't mention anything about silver content.

If you assume it's silver then those rounds have been successful in grabbing your money, and no law has been broken.

THEY didn't claim silver.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4062 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Halley's Comet silver round shown was marketed by the Burton Mint back in the spring/summer of 1986. From what I have gathered, the BM was a marketing company not an actual mint. The original price of the one-ounce 0.999 fine silver round (as specified on its reverse) was $39.95 plus $3.00 S/H. The design was also struck in gold.

The Halley's Comet round was one of a handful marketed by the company in 1985 and 1986.

Edited by commems
09/23/2019 1:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you assume it's silver then those rounds have been successful in grabbing your money, and no law has been broken.

THEY didn't claim silver.

Of course, you mean aside from the words "One Ounce Pure .999 Silver" on the reverse they didn't claim it was silver.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well as the item weighed against some random samples from some well known mints they all weighed the same. So it is silver one ounce round although I was sure that it was the real McCoy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been a couple of good weeks for interesting Silver rounds at the LCS

another great looking one.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15868 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP's coins gives weight, but does't indicate fineness, or even if it is silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is silver as it was sold to the LCS by a large long established bullion house.

Quote:
SEL 961 OP's coins gives weight, but does't indicate fineness, or even if it is silver.

Quote:
Of course, you mean aside from the words "One Ounce Pure .999 Silver" on the reverse they didn't claim it was silver.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15868 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I missed it. My wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I missed it. My wrong.

I thought that you might have. My post on an interesting subject and design on the reverse of the round seemed to go sideways fast after I posted LOL
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3372 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember trying to catch a glimpse of Halley's Comet in 1986. I was in college in the middle of a large city. I did not see Halley's Comet. I'm not sure I will be around for the next shot in 2061!

p.s.

Quote:
Halley's 1986 apparition was the least favourable on record. The comet and Earth were on opposite sides of the Sun in February 1986, creating the worst viewing circumstances for Earth observers for the last 2,000 years.

Just my luck. Oh well, I least I've gotten to see a total solar eclipse.
Edited by KenKat
09/27/2019 08:53 am
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took this photograph of Halleys Comet in 1986:

Halleys Comet
Photographed from Santa Cruz Mountains (California)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Learn More...
United States
77064 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It has been a couple of good weeks for interesting Silver rounds at the LCS
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05