Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 D Lincoln Cent Broad Strike? Collar Strike Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,421Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
208 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  9:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Quin36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Why is one side effected and not both?

Thanks, one only learns by asking, asking, asking....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does appear.to be a partial collar broadstrike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.error-ref.com/ has some info on how I believe.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look like a broad strike to me. I think it's just a Miss Aligned Die strike. That's why the obverse is off center and the reverse seems to be fine. If you compare the size to another cent is it the same?
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
2094 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MAD... a nice one to boot; devices falling off the edge

Learn More...
United States
17469 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I'm in the MAD camp too. Yours is a nice example as the letters have started to fall off the edge of the coin. Despite the wear, I'd probably save it in a 2x2.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51390 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MAD here as well.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quin36 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Yokozuna, same size and weight.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The motto is also touching the rim, do to a wornout master hub issue.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46776 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse is normal. It is a MAD. A keeper though.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at me learning things!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  10:44 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quin36 said...

Quote:
same size and weight.

That says it's not a broad strike. Well, the size anyway. If it had been a broad strike, that means it's struck outside the retaining collar. It's not limited to the normal size. On a MAD strike or Misaligned Die strike, it's in the collar, but the hammer die wasn't lined up correctly. When it struck the planchet it also hit the top of the collar, resulting in the obverse error on your coin.

As said above, it's a keeper! Nice error!
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46776 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Broadstruck: Not in collar, but the whole design is on the coin.

Off center: Not in the collar and not all the design is seen on either side of the coin.

MAD: Design is missing on one side of the coin, the other side is normal.

Hope this helps with this discussion.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/07/2019 10:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1391 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was very helpful thanks coop
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,421Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05