Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does This 1840 100 Lire Gold Coin Appear Genuine?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again,

Figured I would lean on this forum's expertise as you guys been very knowledgeable and helpful.

So, I have an opportunity to buy 2 large gold coins from a seller in Europe I have done business with before. So far all previous transactions have been good. My issue(s) with this 1840 Lire, I don't have much experience with Italian coins and, secondly, there are a couple areas on both OBV and REV where the lettering is almost missing or damaged. Any insight would be greatly appreciated - i.e does the 100 lire coin appear fake, damaged or was this common to the series... Also, the coins weigh right around what they should weigh.

Oh and finally, what would be a good/reasonable price(Euro or USD) to pay for the 1840 100 Lire and 1808 8 Escudos Bolivian coins - as pictured? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41271 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a quick search of Heritage's auctions of the lower coin type from Sardinia (in this case 1840), and none with comparable wear showed any striking weakness at all. These appear genuine, but I'd be careful.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17351 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing suspicious about either coin. Weight comparison and edge conformity should be checked.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17831 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, nothing jumps out screaming fake.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2712 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@masterKromm, does your dealer guarantee authenticity? If so you can do some additional checks/ tests when you get it in hand.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog, That was my concern as well, The weakness of the strike in a few areas(even the lower part of the date).

@Everyone else, Thanks, I just get a little extra cautious at times - especially when buying gold based off pictures and assurances. But I will trust him as he has done right by me on several other gold purchases.

Anyone have a good suggested price for the two coins?

I have him at 1130 Euros on the 8 escudos and 1400 Euros on the 100 Lire.

Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2460 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see that earlier this year, two example so of the Sardinia coin that earned PCGS AU details and PCGS AU58 sold at the equivalent of 1400 and 1600 euro respecytively (not including fees) and a VF that did not have that wear on the legends (though it is a bit softer on the high points obv) went for 1200 euro.

If it were me, I'd push a bit harder on that one.

By the way, I always thought that guy's profile looks a bit like Bill Clinton.
Edited by tdziemia
10/10/2019 06:08 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05