Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Talk About A Price Disparity!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  1:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all

I was looking at a certain coin, the 1 oz. 2014 100th anniversary of WW2 "I Want You" Lord Kitchner platinum PT100 Pence coin (a proof 70). A search at "the bay" revealed ONE at PCGS for a mere, discounted, price of ONLY $8,549.95 plus $149.00 shipping from the London Coin Company. Of course, you have to put up with the wait for it to arrive from Great Britain, maybe some customs, a few forms, etc. They make a big deal "that it has a population of only 1 at PCGS".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-First...100667.m2042

So here I would be, thinking "boy, did I make out on this one", especially with the discount. So I would have about $8,700 in it, and with all the overseas "hassle" that would problably pop up. As I would look at my treasure, coin, I would start to think "man, almost $8,000 for just the premium only for one coin seems kinda high, I mean REALLY HIGH for about a $900 melt value coin, but would console myself that "IT IS THE ONLY ONE GRADED AT PCGS"!

(Actually I understand there are 3 other of these at PCGS but even, so, a pretty scarce graded coin, right?

Then, I would look up on the bay, after I paid for my "the only one graded by PCGS" coin, to the tune of $8,700. And then see this....

the same coin, available locally, for $1,500, with a population of about 300 in a 70 at NGC... about $7,200 off of the London coin "sale" price. It is the exact same coin, only it is graded at NGC, which I kinda prefer anyways. No shipping, no wait, no customs. NGC usea "UCAM", while NGC uses another term "DCAM" but they are the same as far as relief goes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Britain-...202783178545

My buyer's remorse would start at my feet and spread quickly to my head. It would take days for me to self-justify my purchase, but even then I would know the truth.

It looks like there is a mintage of about 500 and would appear that the minter quickly after the minting sent the majority of them over to NGC before letting them go to market.

I would be kicking myself for weeks over this one. And if I had a wife who found out, brother...! So be aware, you new people... NGC and PCGS are the top two graders, it matters not which one you use or have, as far as I am concerned they are about the same, altho some might debate that, but not to the tune of $7,000...mike
Edited by 4504
10/10/2019 2:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New coins, especially modern commemorative and ASE and other bullion related coins are submitted and graded almost 5 to 1 at NGC. NGC is still higher on most of those, price wise, because the buying public seems to have a liking for NGC.

I take an almost equal number of PCGS to NGC ASE to every show. I price them the same.

In the last 3 shows I've sold at, I sold 97 NGC to 11 PCGS ASW. Even when I dropped PCGS 10-20% I still sell far more NGC.
37 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kotsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 7k, if ever actually collected, is the seller marketing fee, the graders get iced out
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05