Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Me Spend Some Money

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woo Hoo today is the day :)
Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I went to pick up a few things today. First off was a XF/AU Barber 50 cent. I never liked these coins, so I never upgraded what I had in my 20th century collection, but the Barber was the only one that didn't fit in. So it had to be upgraded. She has scratches around the high points, which might detail the coin but for a place in my album, she met the cost/benefit that I was looking for.

Out of everything I picked up the Barber was the only one that was Raw.

Here she is in her new home. Looks much better than the older one I had.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next was an MS Morgan dollar. It was one of those that I always wanted. This one has a really nice shine, looks like it was stored for over a century. The 1887 even in Mint State and slabbed are not costly. And she was really pretty (IMO)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really like the Barber quarter and 50 cents but I really like the Barber dime. I have an AU example in my 20th century type set but no MS example. This one that I've been wanting for a while. I like how in MS state you can see the details in the hair and on the reverse. You can actually see that its a wreath of corn, wheat, maple and oak leaves.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Following up on the 1931 S, I also needed a 1909 S VDB (not happening this time) and a 1914 D. The 1914 D was in the price range I wanted to pay and even though I have a 1914 D in my Dansco, I wanted to complete my first Whitman set. So next coin in the 1914 D in VF 20.

My Whitman is ALMOST complete. Maybe later in the year.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the final coin. Lets just say I really really really like Mercury dimes, and while I have an MS65 one, I don't have a perfect one and it isn't in gold. So why not go for it. Of the 3 released in 2016 in gold all are beautiful, but the Mercury dime is to me the prettiest of them all.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So how did I do?
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say you did very well.
Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all!! The 2016 was what I really wanted the others just took time to find:) they met the price/condition I wanted :) now to find a 1909 SVDB to fill that final hole :)
Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
now to find a 1909 SVDB to fill that final hole
Good luck! I have that and the 1922 "plain" left to go in my Dansco.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Dansco has a 1909 S VDB but the 1922 plain is just a 1922 faint D. I'm tempted to just put a wheat proof in the 1922 space and call it complete.

Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My Dansco has a 1909 S VDB but the 1922 plain is just a 1922 faint D. I'm tempted to just put a wheat proof in the 1922 space and call it complete.
Excellent!

I feel like a "weak" D or a "weak reverse" will eventually fill my 22 hole.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local coin shop has a plain 1922 in a NGC slab for $400 and it looks no better than my $20 weak D. This is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of error coins. The prices are above what's imo it's worth. Of the error coins only 2 attracted, the 1955 DDO and 1942/1 Mercury. And unless I can find them for a good price I'll just have to skip.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05