Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reading Glasses For Coin Viewing?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  10:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Larry Gosnell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm 66 and vision is not that great especially when looking at coins. I do have reading glasses for the computer and bifocal glasses for everyday use but results are still less than desirable. Has anyone tried the +3.50 reading glasses for coin viewing? Or is there an even stronger strength that would be better.

I don't really want to get out the x10 loupe or magnifying glass every time I look at a coin unless I'm looking for really fine details.

Appreciate the help.
Larry
Edited by Larry Gosnell
10/12/2019 10:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3383 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use +3.0 reading glasses all the time, so yes, I think these would help you to see coins better. My experience is the higher the number on the glasses, the closer the focal point becomes - i.e., you can get the coin closer with higher readers. You can get. a decent pair at Wal-Mart or Target for under $10 usually if you want to try them out.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At your (nearly our) age, our eyes are invaluable asset.

If you can afford to, go to your optometrist and have them solve the dilemma properly.

We're old enough to know cheap is rarely a bargain.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6480 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd probably get the strongest ones possible (+7?), but just for coin viewing.
37 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kotsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
+7? Where can you get those at?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6480 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
+7? Where can you get those at?

Many places -- here's an eBay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-00-EXTRA...162458347802
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18656 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stick with possibly 3 or 4 power glasses for reading. And get a decent pair from a reputable eye glass place.
just carl
37 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kotsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would take a coin or two (nothing to fancy or expensive) along with you to Walmart and check out some different magnification levels that they have there and see which one works best for you.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an alternative, just use the coins in your pocket.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05