Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Couple Of Metal Detecting Finds!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1579 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  10:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these coins about 3 metres away from the lead phoenician weight in my another thread and have just got around to photographing them...

First one ...Could someone just check my attribution please..
Nero, 54 - 68 AD
AE Dupondius, Lugdunum Mint, 29mm, 10.81 grams
Obverse: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P MAX TRP PP, Laureate head of Nero right, small globe below.
Reverse: SECVRITAS AVGVSTI S C, Securitas seated right resting head on hand and holding scepter, lighted altar and torch before.
RIC596

2nd one.....
I think it might be Plautilla any thoughts appreciated..Thanks Paul
Sweden
23 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dalmas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nero seems to be right

Plutilla maybe?
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6179019
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1579 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dalmas...The Plautilla looks spot on!

The reason why I was asking for verification of the Nero coin is that on wildwinds the RIC#596 has the SC in the exergue whereas my coin has the SC in the fields?....Any thoughts?....Paul
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4205 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YOu're right, the RIC number has the SC in Ex, but reverse from this mint have it across the field on other issues with different obverse legends. I think this may be the variant Sear is referring to as Sear 1968 (var), even though all the pictures are SC in ex. It seems Wildwinds calls that RIC 597 but the description text is not different to RIC 596; could someone with the physical book give it a check?
Bulgaria
6 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1579 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ben I thought I was missing something simple...

And thanks iulius...Scary avatar !

Still not sure if its RIC#596 or RIC#597...?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3999 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice detecting finds paul.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
United States
4450 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent finds, Paul. Not sure how much cleaning they required, but they look great - nice job.
Pillar of the Community
United States
779 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the Nero is RIC 596. #597 is identical to 596 except for the bust, which faces left. However, #518 and 519 have exactly the same descriptions as 596 and 597 but cite different reference coins. Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1579 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks scopru!....Nice to see you posting again

@Bob L....Thanks!....I-ve just had them soaking in distilled water for about 3-4 months just giving them a light rub with a toothbrush now and again....In general the coins come out of the ground here reasonably clean to start with. Probably to do with the very dry conditions and quite high lime levels in the concrete soil.

Thanks KS looks to be RIC596 so I'll tag it as that...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05