Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1935 P Lincoln Cent With A Special Finish?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  9:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DirtyPenny88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! So I have a 1935 p Lincoln cent. I've never had a penny with this yellow color and texture/finish, and I read that there was a certain type of finish in 1936 that was super shiny.

I took some close up pictures, certain areas where it looks like numbers/letters too (I always think I see them lol).

Really, it's the color/texture that makes me question this penny, the pictures do not capture the dramatic difference in color from my other pennies. I need a new scale or batteries, but it weighs 3.2 g

Let me know if you think this is a planchet error or special finish or just a regular 1935! Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heavily cleaned. Not a special finish.
"Coin collectors aren't afraid of change."
-Unknown
Best Cherrypicks-
1909 VDB DDO FS-1101-http://goccf.com/t/357327
1967 WQ SMS DDO FS-101-http://goccf.com/t/351558
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyPenny88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okie thanks, ya I am not sure how to tell if coins have been cleaned! So thanks :)

Do you see what I mean by the letters on the reverse that look like "barge" and the numbers on the obverse that look like "2353"?

Sometimes damage really looks like numbers to me >.<
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42225 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this has been severely polished. Try to familiarize yourself with the detail on a mint-state coin!

to to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4303 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or it could have been lacquered.
In the earlier days of collecting coin surfaces were often preserved by being coated in lacquer.
The result was a shinier looking finish.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the best tips for learning to evaluate coins someone gave me was to learn what the "high spots" are for each coin.

These are the areas that stick up from the coin the most and as a result will be the first to show wear and reduced detail.

In LWC on the obverse the ear, the hair and the bow tie are some of the first areas to look at to see how much wear there is, and when you look at those spots on this coin you can see the detail on all three is severely diminished. That means the coins has undergone significant circulation wear.

However, when a coin has undergone significant wear AND still has a bright shiny finish, that makes it much more likely that the coin's surface has been cleaned or altered.

As to the color of the coin, most of the available cleaning products will alter the color of the coin to some degree because copper is such a reactive metal.
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyPenny88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thank you to all! I appreciate you guys because I dont know anyone who collects and rely heavily on the internet, thank you for all the input, I need it and put it to good use :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05