Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found 1971-S Lincoln Cent RPM ; Need Help W The Rest Of Coin

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  4:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cocoanutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello CCF.

I am excited to have found this Lincoln S penny! Is this called a RPM or S over S (or do they mean the same thing?)

And the rest looks to potentially be DDO (maimly in IGWT "GOD"); I need stronger magnification for the year 1971 ; and DDR ? (Looks like in "AMERICA").

Thank you.

Edited by cocoanutz
10/15/2019 4:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30379 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which RPM do you think it is? Which doubled die do you think it is?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cocoanutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks as usual @John1 for being right at the top!! Well after going to Variety Vista and doing my comparisons it looks like the "North" one.. but I do not know what term to call this RPM as it looks closest to (see link)

http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20L...1SRPM010.htm

Is RPM and S over S the same thing?

And lastly I still am getting a better understanding of dd vs md ..but I don't have a good enough visual of the rest of the features.

Thanks for your assistance.
Edited by cocoanutz
10/15/2019 5:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the pictures it looks like a normal coin. Can you get clear close ups?
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cocoanutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for looking into @DavesErrors . These are the best I can come up with ..and should show the splitting.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2094 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys, does this like like an impaired proof?

@ cocoanutz the link you supplied us to compare your cent to is for a Proof Cent and I'm leaning towards your coin to be a business strike (let's see what others say) also may be a broken punch..
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cocoanutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you @GreasyFingers.

I got my 60x mag and I wish I can show you what I see (looks positive) but need your eyes of course. Now, for learning purposes, this may have been meant as a business strike coin vs a proof (mismark)?

Thanks for sharing.
Edited by cocoanutz
10/16/2019 04:35 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30379 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cocoanutz,
Your coin is not a proof. I am not seeing a doubled die or a RPM. Research some more and post a attribution number and the site you found it on so we can do a comparison.If you are using a 60x jewelers loupe,that is too much.You should not go higher than 14x with a loupe,the image gets distorted.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see a TINY LITTLE SPLIT in the top of the S But hard to tell if its not just Damage. ( IF ) it is a RPM It's a very MINOR one at best.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cocoanutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Gents.

@John1 I appreciate the magnification suggestions Also here is that link I was comparing this coin to with similarities
http://www.varietyvista.com/02b%20L...1SRPM010.htm

What is this coin type considered with an S mint mark if it was not struck as a proof coin?

And thanks @DavesErrors there is also a split or some separation (see bottom fatter tail of the S looks like a dimple).

Edited by cocoanutz
10/16/2019 3:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30379 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is this coin type considered with an S mint mark if it was not struck as a proof coin?

A business strike.
John1
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cocoanutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1 Holy smokes I thought all S minted coins are considered "proof" where one might open it and it can get lost in regular circulation (but still called a proof or WAS a proof). Geez for us beginners, this is a lot to grasp. There are also then business struck S coins just like D, P, and W?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30379 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are also then business struck S coins just like D, P, and W?
Yup.
FYI: A proof that has been circulated is called an impaired proof.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1582 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not all San Francisco minted coins are proof. The mintage numbers on the 1971-S Cent are 528,354,192 business strikes and 3,220,733 proof strikes.

Proof coins are struck with special polished dies on special polished planchets so you would get mirrored finished fields in 1971.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cocoanutz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both.

How long does that mirror finish hold up on a coin (that, let's say has been out in circulation since 1971)? So now it is differentiating with this coin either being an impaired proof or a business strike S penny. @John1 just by looking with his trained eyes..he knew business strike. How would the beginner know?
Edited by cocoanutz
10/16/2019 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2094 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof coins are struck twice by the die, making the rims more squared (business coins struck once) Proof will have frosted devices and mirrored fields..Do an eBay search for "1971S proof Lincoln cent" and the 4th one down (selling at $1.50) will show you a nice example. Even an impaired proof will still show as frosted and mirrored
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05