Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Washington Crossing The Delaware Quarter Designs

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  7:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For many years, it's been known that unless the Secretary of the Treasury renewed the America the Beautiful Quarters program for another 56 designs, the quarter would revert to the 1932-1998 obverse and have a new reverse depicting George Washington Crossing the Delaware. According to a Facebook post by Coin World, the coins would be released in 2021, after the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site quarter is launched, rather than 2022 as was speculated here and other places.

I thought they would simply reuse the 1999 New Jersey quarter design, but to my surprise, several design candidates are being considered by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. The U.S. Mint's website has released the designs being considered here.

I wish we could see a new obverse to go with the chosen design, but I'm glad to see a permanent reverse for the quarter for the first time in over 20 years.

Which reverse designs are your favorite?
Edited by SilverRoosevelt
10/15/2019 7:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a fan of GW in both sides. The designs aren't very good either (mostly too busy), though I think 6 is best.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10220 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  02:16 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna say that 5 is my favorite with 4A being the runner-up. 8 is horrendous!
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Learn More...
United States
78380 Posts
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at them again, I think I'll switch to 11A.

Quote:
8 is horrendous!

But surely not as bad as 10. I don't even understand what's going on there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a fan of any of them. If forced to choose, 5 is probably the best. If I were in a position of power, I would have preferred to see this go in one of three alternate ways:
1. If we must stick with the original Washington obverse (nothing wrong with it), then return to the original eagle reverse as well.
2. Get Washington off the quarter entirely and revert to the too-short-lived Standing Liberty design (both sides)
3. Come up with a suitable new Liberty design. The end of the ATB program would have been a great opportunity to do this. But even with a reverse design change, it's going to end up just being more of the same stale stuff, just like the shield cent.

I don't know if they keep the dead presidents on the coinage because they think the American people have some sort of emotional attachment to them or what. I know I don't. If they made clad Standing Liberty's in this day and age, I'd be proud to spend them.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Edited by hcmusicguy
10/16/2019 12:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15939 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like 9 best.

Not a bad design, but 9A would be more appropriate, the Betsy Ross flag design wasn't used until 1777 months AFTER the Delaware crossing. The flag shown on 9A was the flag being used at the time of the crossing.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way too much going on in most of them. A couple of them are barely readable at this size, would only be worse in-hand.

I like 4A for its simplicity and powerful pose, maybe 6 as the clearest "crossing" depiction.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree many of them are too "busy". My biggest gripe about all of the designs is that the end result would be the same person featured on both sides of the coin.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know if one of these is a Daniel Carr design submission or not?

From what I know about the obverse of this coin "Whenever the America the Beautiful Quarters Program ends, authorizing legislation mandates that successor designs be the obverse of the Washington quarter dollar that was used from 1932 to 1998, and a reverse reflecting Gen. George Washington's crossing the Delaware River in his drive toward Trenton during the American Revolution. "
Edited by Big-Kingdom
10/16/2019 4:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18656 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard rumors that the Quarter is in for massive changes. 1. Washington will be facing to the right.
2. Washington will not have a wig on
3. Reverse will start a new series with our alleys, then department stores until they go under, famous cars such as the 57 Chevy, then front views of all the China counterfeiting places.
4. Quarter Dollar will be changed to read 25 Pennies.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
78380 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a bad design, but 9A would be more appropriate, the Betsy Ross flag design wasn't used until 1777 months AFTER the Delaware crossing. The flag shown on 9A was the flag being used at the time of the crossing.
Ugh. Yes. I should have noticed it was 9A not 9. It is the first image on the second page and I did not realize the other one was just 9.
Learn More...
United States
78380 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've heard rumors that the Quarter is in for massive changes...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't believe I'm saying this but I like them all.

My favorites are #1 and #2 and I have a slight preference for #1.

Most of the new designs are somewhat "disappointing" and then they have a tendency to select one I like less. This time seems to be different and we should end up with something pretty good.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's truly remarkable is that by the time three or four dates of these are in circulation it will have been a quarter of a century since the last eagle reverse quarter of 1998. Only about 28% of circulating quarters will be eagle reverse and even XF's will be quite elusive. Finding nice circulated pre-1980 issues above high end Fine condition will be very difficult because quarters now days get beaten up so badly. Back in the '60's it didn't seem possible but most quarter rolls won't contain even one 1965!
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12576 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For once there's a bunch in there that I like. There are some I don't care for so I have to remain cautiously optimistic, but it looks very hopeful
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05