Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1888 Cent With Triple Punched 8's. Please Check Out The Pictures .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
183 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  9:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have taken the best pictures I could to show why I think this cent rates looking at. Some of the pictures are shown upside down, because of lighting problems, and because they show the triple punching better. Please look carefully, and let me know what you think.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42269 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doubling is clear, nice photography. Others will have more input.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10222 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  02:21 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is definitely something going on. This has to be a known veriety, right? Calling all Canadian collectors!
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We (our 4 man collector cadre)included only a few of the 1888 varieties in the 65th edition (2011)of Charlton that covered the Vicky cant varieties in the back. I will quote from the entry on p324 that described an example with all 3 8's repunched:

"All 1888 working dies displayed repunched middle numeral 8's, inherited from the matrices. The engravers often repunched one, two, or three of the numeral 8's in the Reverse working dies, creating many variations of the repunched 1888 dates."

ALL final 8's were handpunched into the "188" three-digit working dies, so there is also a great variation of the spacing between the middle 8 and the last 8. After looking at thousands of these, I found that a great many had the numeral "1" also repunched. 1888 was a large mintage year, so a great deal of repunching was done to extend the life of the working dies, so they had complete, readable dates. There is a member on this site who is doing/has done a thorough study on the 1888's ... I forget how many different dies/repunches that he found, as well as some Obverse differences.
Learn More...
United States
78522 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
720 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your first photo is a provincial cent (1858-1859). Do you have the correct obverse photo for the 1888?

It's a very nice re-punch and good photos! In my opinion it is triple punched on the first 8 and probably the 1 also. The 1 would only show up on a high grade coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First if you look closely at L7 there may or may not be a small D/C, also this die will develop a cir D/C threw the top of DEI in later die states.
The obverse when shown will have a D/C between the C & A in Canada. The D in DEI will be missing the bottom serif, all other letters will be normal.
This is a known variety at least to me it is.
Beautiful coin and very nice close-up pictures.
There are a number of 1888 dies with all 8's re-punched and others with the complete date re-punched.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all of you. okiecoiner, as usual I defer to your knowledge. I had the reference, just didn't read it carefully. Phil310 Yes, I have the correct photo, but I have tried twice to edit the posting, remove the provincial cent and post the correct photo, but nothing seems to work. How do I get rid of the first photo and post the second? Bill
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some of the well-offset 8's from the 1888's. You will find 1, 2, or all 3 8's well-doubled.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05