Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Morgan 1901 Worth $550?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  12:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can go to "https://www.PCGS.com/" and at the top right of the page hit verify.

Type in the slabbed number to the right of the / .

This will give you info of the coin, and most of the time an accurate value. It shows $400.

You can also see what others have sold for on ebay and at auctions.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is marked up for the VAM 20 which I don't know enough about to tell. and what is NAOH?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a decidedly nice example, especially for a 55. I checked Heritage and about $425 would be my best offer for the coin you show.

Take note that there is a pretty huge jump in price for a 58.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42236 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems a bit high to me, agree. But the next grade up, as mox says, is huge.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does the VAM make any difference, he says it is very rare and even more so in a coin of that grade?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7786 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
at AU55 it retails for about $390. with all the surface scratches personally I would not pay AU55 $ for it. then again, I'm not you
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only VAM listed is DDR on the eagle rev. I don't see it here.
There is no VAM 20 for this date listed.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what the seller said to me.... (by the way this is the same seller who sold me the 1899 morgan everyone liked)
It is a very rare VAM part of the Wow list Vams I have handled at least 100 1901 Morgan dollars and this is the first one of the Wow list VAM-20 I have ever found also this is the highest grade I have seen for this VAM attached is more info also on ebay this coin has had over 120 views and has 4 watchers it is a very desirable coin

I looked it up on wow VAM top 100 and found it, but it doesn't say if it increases the price here is the link to it
http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...901-P_VAM-20
Edited by mrulon
10/16/2019 4:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only auction I could find so far for the VAM 20. Was an NGC slabbed 53. Sold for $250 in 2018.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18267 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grade seems correct, but priced too high.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1901 VAM-20 was first discovered in 2008
That's 11 years ago.
In that time ANACS has only graded 8 in any condition.
PCGS either does not recognize the variety or has not graded any as of this post.
That said the value of the item is only as great as the market demands.
The following is from VAM World
Interest level is 3
Rarity estimate is a 5
There are many many other VAM's that have a higher rarity and interest level than this piece
VAM World is a great site to visit and gain a ton of knowledge from the guys & gals that have been collecting VAM's for years

Mike

side note
NAOH means the VAM is 'Not Attributed On Holder'
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it may have been worked over at some point. Not a fan.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05