Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1932-S Washington Quarter Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  2:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it just me, or does this "s" not look right?
https://houston.craigslist.org/clt/...0028976.html

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11845 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks legit to me . Just worn and maybe cleaned years ago .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know, but I have bought coins from him before without problem.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dark areas around the mm are probably what concerns you, but it's just a bit of toning left in that tiny place. Looks good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jstav, you're from the Houston area I guess? $45 bucks won't break the bank, even if it turns out to be no Bueno. It just jumped out at me, but apparently I'm the only one bothered. Thanks again for everyone's input!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
United States
5105 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Added mintmark alterations are a real problem with 1932 quarters, even in low grade. I bought a 1932-D from a dealer that had the D added; only found out when I sent it for grading. It was only in Fine condition or so but was still a viable target for the counterfeiter. Fortunately the dealer made good on it.

This coin LOOKS legit. The mintmark typically sits in a shallow depression which collects dirt as seen in the photo. Doesn't mean it's authentic but if you like the coin and the price, go for it! I'd just make sure to confirm your return privilege.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15937 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintmarks on the 32 S is rather small and typically sits directly under the "knot" joining the two sides of the wreath. The darkness around the mintmark does not bother me because as Jaobler says it sits in a depression, but to me this mintmark looks too large and is offset to far left. I don't know how many rev dies were used but it couldn't have been many, and the would all have almost certainly used the same small mintmark.
genuine 1932 S

Craigslist 32 S
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as to the mintmark being off center slightly. Not sure about the size. Still, as already mentioned, for the price buy it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18643 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be to afraid of that one being a fake but for a decent price, might be worth the chance.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05