Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1833 Token Grade & Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  11:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this one up recently off eBay and it's actually nicer then what I was expecting.
Opinions on grade please?
I've noticed the buildup of white in and around the elements is quite common on some tokens, can this be safely removed?
If this is a corrosion (as I expect) why is it white?

Cheers, Bill

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42269 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hardly my field, but I would say very high AU. Beautiful example!
Edited by Coinfrog
10/19/2019 11:22 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my experience (and I'm not saying that it's the only explanation) I always took the "white" as left-over cleaning paste/powder or soap. Also some people lightly blast coins with talc under small pressure to clean off surface dirt/light corrosion. I've found that any of it comes off easily with a hawthorne or toothpick. It's a very nice coin ... maybe Gene will chime in concerning any "variety" of the token.
Pillar of the Community
United States
835 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Bill. Residue left after getting rid of the crud.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strongly struck. AU-58. Eye Appeal 9/10.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking token Bill! AU 53 / 55
Whats the position of the die axis?
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  11:44 am  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice example - Condition is strong EF or AU. The white crud it left over from cleaning. The photos do not show any hairlines, so the cleaning was gentle.

As Bill noted a Hawthorn will help remove the white crud - remember to maintain the point on the thorn. I would also soak it in Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) for a couple days - this will help soften the crud making it easier to remove.

Gene
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the replies. Thanks to all.
Coin Flipper the alignment is coinage.
Gene how do you remove the olive oil after soaking?

Cheers, Bill
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42269 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing denatured alcohol will dissolve olive oil?
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My technique is soak in acetone for a few minutes to dissolve existing oil, then soak in EVOO for a couple of days or weeks checking every day with a thorn to gage the softening of the gunk, thorn the gunk to remove from crevices, rinse in warm water, soak in acetone in a well vented area, then rinse in warm water and pat dry - do not rub. Repeat as needed.

Try this on cheap coins 1st to get the right feel for timing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05