Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1855 Seated Liberty Dime

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  1:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a civil war pistol with an 1855 dime that is counter-sunk & glued into the grip. It appears to be in good condition but I don't want to damage the coin or gun by trying to remove it. Does anyone know much info on this particular coin? I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth removing or leaving alone? Thanks in advance.
Helen Keller could find a DDO easier than me
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't remove it! That is incredible! I have a similar situation with a very worn gold dollar on a pinky ring. I use if for a key fob.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42158 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool! I wouldn't disturb it either.
Learn More...
United States
78328 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, leave it a lone. The cool factor is impressive!
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say VG-8 without seeing the back, the type with arrows is only philadelphia for that year and PCGS only shows a max value of $24 for VG-8. Likely will only get half of that on eBay and probably even less than $10 on eBay or at a coin shop. I'd say if it was put in that gun from long ago, the gun is probably worth far more with it in it. Thus it would be a dumb move to pull it out :)
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post more pictures of the entire gun with it in it.
Learn More...
United States
78328 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd say if it was put in that gun from long ago, the gun is probably worth far more with it in it. Thus it would be a dumb move to pull it out :)

Quote:
Please post more pictures of the entire gun with it in it.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The grip has 5 kill notches marked on the side with the coin if you look closely.

Helen Keller could find a DDO easier than me
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exceptional weapon, worth much more than the coin. Although the coin adds a sense of history. Don't remove it.

So glad you asked before you grabbed a knife to pry it out.
Learn More...
United States
78328 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!

Quote:
So glad you asked before you grabbed a knife to pry it out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Navy revolver? $5000 pistol, $5 dime.

As the song about Billy the Kid goes, "He'd a notch on his pistol for 21 men." Wild Bill Hickock had a pair.
Edited by thq
10/21/2019 6:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Jack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder when the coin was placed in there....
Pillar of the Community
United States
3536 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great piece, this revolver. I can't help but wonder if the embedded dime could someday prove a clue as to the original owner?
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back of the coin has all kinds of info engraved on it, plus there is an 1852-D gold dollar underneath it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like he hired a rat to carve out the hole for the dime
Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remington Model 1858, .36 caliber for those curious. Probably a reproduction, which is not to knock this particular example. Very collectible and worth far more than the embedded dime. Thanks for sharing!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05