Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weird Unidentified Medieval Coin #1 - Balkans? Caucasus?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
2825 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  6:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a bunch of unattributed medieval (and other) coins from a bargain bin last Wednesday; I kept putting back posting them for identification on CCF, but I guess I should probably do it anyway.

This particular coin is probably the one I'm most interested in - not that I have any idea what it could actually be...

13 mm, 0.5 grams.

I thought I've seen a similar central design (first photo) on a Bulgarian coin, but couldn't find anything on a search. No idea if it's even the correct side up.
The other pic looks like the central design might be a lion or a leopard.

Any ideas?
Hopefully the unusual lines on the first pic jog someone's memory...
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thestranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am new to medieval, but I am lurking to learn more from the other members.
Interesting find by the way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4453 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I can just barely make out a lion rampant reverse.

Perhaps something like this, from Serbia?:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3325767
Pillar of the Community
United States
4453 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13583 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nailed it @bob! I have never seen this monogram before--it is quite distinctive.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2825 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nailed it @bob! I have never seen this monogram before--it is quite distinctive.

Apparently this type is supposed to be Jovanovic 42.21 (whatever that is).

I don't think I've heard much about the Despotate of Serbia before, and I certainly didn't realize that they made any coins!
I see that this type is not on Numista (which only has one coin type for the entire Despotate of Serbia), which is probably part of why I didn't find it.

Fun fact about Djuradj Brankovic: his daughter-in-law, Helena Palaiologina, was Ivan the Terrible's great-aunt.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05