Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes.








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Weird Unidentified Medieval Coin #1 - Balkans? Caucasus?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,601Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
5186 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  6:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I bought a bunch of unattributed medieval (and other) coins from a bargain bin last Wednesday; I kept putting back posting them for identification on CCF, but I guess I should probably do it anyway.

This particular coin is probably the one I'm most interested in - not that I have any idea what it could actually be...

Weird-Unidentified-Medieval-Coin-#1---Balkans?-Caucasus? Weird-Unidentified-Medieval-Coin-#1---Balkans?-Caucasus?

13 mm, 0.5 grams.

I thought I've seen a similar central design (first photo) on a Bulgarian coin, but couldn't find anything on a search. No idea if it's even the correct side up.
The other pic looks like the central design might be a lion or a leopard.

Any ideas?
Hopefully the unusual lines on the first pic jog someone's memory...
New Member
Thestranger's Avatar
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thestranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am new to medieval, but I am lurking to learn more from the other members.
Interesting find by the way.
Pillar of the Community
Kamnaskires's Avatar
United States
7067 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kamnaskires to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I can just barely make out a lion rampant reverse.

Perhaps something like this, from Serbia?:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3325767
Pillar of the Community
Kamnaskires's Avatar
United States
7067 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kamnaskires to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34562 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nailed it @bob! I have never seen this monogram before--it is quite distinctive.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
5186 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nailed it @bob! I have never seen this monogram before--it is quite distinctive.

Apparently this type is supposed to be Jovanovic 42.21 (whatever that is).

I don't think I've heard much about the Despotate of Serbia before, and I certainly didn't realize that they made any coins!
I see that this type is not on Numista (which only has one coin type for the entire Despotate of Serbia), which is probably part of why I didn't find it.

Fun fact about Djuradj Brankovic: his daughter-in-law, Helena Palaiologina, was Ivan the Terrible's great-aunt.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,601Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Forums