Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hadrian Denarius, Opinion

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 675Next Topic  

Spain
4 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  02:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RomanCoinsLover to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone!
I've bought my first Hadrian denarius, what do you think about it?
The weight is a little low, but I don't see strange things in the coin.
Regards.
PS:Sorry if the photos are dark, I'll try to upload clear ones if it was necesary.
Hadrian (117 - 138 A.D.), silver denarius from Rome mint 119-122 A.D.

Obv.: IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG, laureate bust right, slight drappery over left shoulder /

Rev.: P M TR P COS III, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopia.

RIC 83 (b); C. 1143.

19mm., 2.51g.

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.2.hdn.83b
Here are some examples of the coin
Edited by RomanCoinsLover
10/22/2019 02:21 am
Learn More...
United States
23134 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  04:27 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 2 1/2 grams and the dull look of the surface I'm thinking this is a Limes Denarius.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bumpy surfaces makes me think of a cast coin. How is the edge?
Bulgaria
49 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iulius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not liking the surface either - possible casting bubbles and there is an overall fuzziness of the details has me doubting.
Spain
4 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RomanCoinsLover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
Here are some better photos. The edge doesn't look bad, and I don't think this is a cast coin, but if it's limes or not bring me more doubts. It doesn't look like other limes I have but the weight is a little low.
What do you think with this new photos?

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New photos are much better. Lightest I have found online is
2.96 g. I would guess yours is ancient but
Non regular issue for whatever the reason it was made.
Learn More...
United States
23134 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pictures are helpful. I still say it's a Limes denarius.
Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes better pics, I'm going to agree with echizento on this one. Comparing your Hadrian to my Limes Denarius of Severus Alexander - very close, I would say.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05