Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake Mint Marks Added To Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  10:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KingFridayXIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

New member here something of a novice collecting coins looking forward to learning from others here.. I'd like to pick up a 1932 s or d Washington quarter but curious as to how big an issue is adding fake mint marks? In the case of this coin there would be a big incentive. Do you have tips on spotting fake mint marks? Should I just stick to graded/slabbed coins of this type?

Thanks
KF13
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30024 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Until you learn the ins and outs of faked coins,stick to slabbed ones by PCGS-NGC and ANACS.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
78564 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how big an issue this is, but stick to reputable dealers.
Edited by Cdncoins
10/23/2019 11:15 am
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KingFridayXIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There seems to be a fair amount of variety re: how mint marks look on Washington quarters. Some are "thin" and clear while others appear to be a big blob. Sometimes the blob hardly resembles the letter, even on coins with relatively little wear. If I buy a graded coin how many fakes get through? Are we talking 1% or 1 in 10,000 or 1 in a million? I know there is no definitive number but ballpark, how certain can a person be that the grading services haven't let a fake get through? I do realize that grade itself is more subjective. Thanks for all the welcomes.
KF13
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12605 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I buy a graded coin how many fakes get through?

As long as you're talking about the reputable companies and not basement slabbers for 4th tier companies it is incredibly rare for a fake to get through or an added mint mark. If you were to purchase one of the the extremely rare instances of one getting through you're covered by their guarantee anyways
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KingFridayXIII to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Basebal21.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18670 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If you want to play safe, just buy anything of value in a slab. However, today, even slabbed coins have been faked.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
962 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Most coin series have multiple websites providing detailed information on varieties, mint mark styles, markers for authentic coins, grading, etc. Key series have excellent books detailing each year of issue. For example, Liberty Seated coinage has books and websites providing a wealth of information, including the number of die pairs by year, known varieties, number of reeds on the edge for each year and mint, known counterfeits, and counterfeit identifiers.

Take time to study the coins before buying. Learn their design quirks by year. Examine coins in hand at local shows, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

As others have said upthread, reputable third party grading services do an excellent job authenticating coins. Grading is not always as accurate, so learn to grade the series for yourself and always buy the coin and not the grade opinion on the slab. Avoid the garbage slabbers and stick to the reliable services. Read the many threads on CCF regarding the different grading services, and see the range of comments and opinions.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15952 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There seems to be a fair amount of variety re: how mint marks look on Washington quarters.

This is true if you look at the series as a whole, but when you are looking as a single year, and especially a low mintage year. For the 32 S with a mintage of 408,000 there probably weren't more than three, maybe four rev dies, and they were probably all made (mintmarked) at the same time. So the chances are overwhelmingly likely that the is only one mintmark size and shape.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was starting out a a kid collector 30+ years ago I bought the 32 S and D from "trusted dealer" then kind of stopped collecting. Few weeks ago I brought both raw coins to a coin show and 2 dealers said the D looks "off" and thinking maybe fake. ugh

when I figure out how to take good close up pics with iphone I will post for opinion
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Take time to study the coins before buying. Learn their design quirks by year. Examine coins in hand at local shows, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

@fortcollins speaks words of wisdom. Make yourself an expert before you invest in any coin. People can and will counterfeit coins regardless of value. They always have and always will.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05