Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Tell If A Pre 1968 Coin Is PL Or MS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  5:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CA_Coin_Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How to I know if a pre 1968 coin is a prooflike or a just a mint state? And can a mint state coin get a cameo and if yes, how?

Thanks for the help!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
711 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint state coins will often have nicks and scrapes from contact with other coins during the minting and shipping process (called bag marks).

Proof-like coins will not have any of these bag marks but will sometimes have a 'pebbly' appearance on the shoulder and hair high point. That being said, I do have PL coins with bag marks.

Yes, MS coins can have a cameo appearance, which is usually a result of being an early die strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2300 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And can a mint state coin get a cameo and if yes, how

Yes they can.

On the ICCS card under notes it says Cameo
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1003 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, I a have some pre 1949's with some nice cameo.
Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lakeman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So to ask a really na´ve question... Lets look at a 1965 Silver Dollar. On Coins and Canada, a PL65 Dollar is worth about $20 yet an MS65 is worth $500+. How do I know whether someone just opened up a proof set and tried to sell me a $20 coin for $500? Visually speaking, how can I tell the difference between a mid to high grade MS and PL?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7660 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how can I tell the difference between a mid to high grade MS and PL?

You can't.
It takes a bit of experience.
That's why we have TPGs.
Until you can grade with accuracy stick to slabbed coins,buy from someone you trust or you are going to get burned.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
39 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1947ML to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How I quickly and easily tell MS from PL.

Earlier coins (Pre-1954) that were specially struck where called Proofs. These specially struck coins presented crisp legends and sharp details using fresh dies, likely struck slower.

By about 1949, coins were being produced with such quality that they resembled these specially struck coins, and the designation Proof-Like was "coined".

Those earlier Proofs, we now called Specimens. All early coins guides called them Proofs. The designation Proof-Like started in 1954 or shortly after..

The mint made Specimens (Proofs) in early years and consistently from 44 to 1953 and stopped. They made Proof-Like sets starting in 1954.

So from 1949 to 1953, we have Proofs (specially struck, now called Specimens) and we also have coins produced that were called Proof-Like.

A lot of people look at the mirror finish in the fields of the coin, but that's not exactly a good method. Many coins have toning, so you can't used that. The best way I have found, which makes the most sense to me, is the finish on the legends. Proofs, Proof-Like and Specimens "always" have crisp, frosted or pristine and sharp surfaces on the legends. Very rarely do MS coins produced this level of strike. Generally I have found some MS coins that contain sharp and frosted sometimes, but not the same at all, and quickly you can find legends somewhere else on the coin that are beaten up, rounded off etc..

SO look at any PL or early SP coins and this what you will see, regardless of toning.

Telling the difference from 1953 SP to 1953 PL is another matter..

Valued Member
Canada
107 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lakeman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 1947ML. Any clarification is much appreciated..
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05