Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2005 Bison Jefferson Nickels

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2293 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  1:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Jefferson Nickels : American Bison

2005-P Mintage: 448,320,000.
2005-D Bison 487,680,000
Designer - Engraver: Felix Schlag.
Metal Composition: 75% Copper - 25% Nickel.
Diameter: 21.2 mm.
Mass / Weight: 5 grams.

Finally after many years the Bison Jefferson nickels are getting the attention they deserve. PCGS, NGC, and NumisMedia updated their price guides. The coins are now showing a more accurate market value.

When these coins first were released in 2005, I really wanted to get some because the classic Buffalo nickels are my favorite coins. So having these modern Bison nickels is pretty cool because the design is nice looking.

However, the U.S Mint ran into some problems with these coins. The quality of the strikes was very poor considering they are modern coins. When searching rolls or bags of uncirculated Bison Nickels. You will quickly notice that so many of them have big marks on them. It can take hundreds or thousands just to find one without a bag mark.

2005 P Bison Nickel - MS-64 PCGS
Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Westward Journey series with the Bison being my favorite followed by Ocean in View. Its one of the modern sets I actually purchased an uncirculated set of.
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait a minute? I just noticed that PCGS rated that coin an MS64 with all the marks on the face? That is a very generous grade. Grade inflation? I would never rate that coin as high.
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think MS-64 is good. Eye appeal is there. MS-63 would be too low in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
594 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to offend anyone, PCGS graded my quarter a MS-64 as well and it looks nowhere anywhere near as marked up as the nickel. In my opinion the nickel is well over graded.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truth be told, I would never have submitted that nickel.

The obverse owwies are pretty significant.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12932 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not to offend anyone, PCGS graded my quarter a MS-64 as well and it looks nowhere anywhere near as marked up as the nickel. In my opinion the nickel is well over graded.

Different series/metals/time frames. The quarter is mostly silver where as nickels are famous for planchet/striking issues.

64 on ultra moderns is basically what your average coin will look like from the mint, that's exactly what that one is.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
64 on ultra moderns is basically what your average coin will look like from the mint, that's exactly what that one is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin would be a spender to me. The condition doesn't merit even putting it in a 2 by 2, since my Bison Nickel has no marks, anyone want to buy an MS 70? First $100 takes it

Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last time I could routinely get solid date nickel rolls that were not nicked to death was sometime in the 1990s. Since then the mint must have changed something in the process. Most mint-fresh nickels from the 2000s look like they spent time tumbling in a cement mixer with several thousand others.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2293 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfjacinto, Yours appears to be a SP which didn't have mint problems. They use a different die for those.
The one I have is business strike which means the U.S mint didn't make them good.

I highly doubt PCGS over-graded the coin. You have to keep in mind that every coin is graded differently.
We can't be comparing a quarter to a nickel when the quarters didn't have mint problems in 1964.

@moxking, I only sent it in because I really liked the tone. Sometimes you got to spend extra money on coins just because you like them or they're special to you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine was a simple business strike that cost me $.35

Well $2.50 for all 8 P&D shipped. I'm not knocking you for wanting a certified coin but no way I would buy a certified coin that needs to cost at least $16 when a simple unc only costs $.35
Edited by hfjacinto
10/30/2019 7:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solotime - your point is very well taken. I have a 3CS that barely makes VG in an NGC because it came from my Grandfather's deposit box.

Money isn't the only reason something is important to us.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2293 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does actually make sense not to have just any coin certified.
But since I was already sending some coins to PCGS, I figured I might as well pay the $20 or whatever it was to have that one certified and then a picture taken.

Here's one of my MS-65's

Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the difference is that I wouldn't send any coin to get slabbed. Even the 2 slabbed coins I purchase I took them out of the slab. I buy coins not slabs.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05