Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few "New" Counterfeits That Are Concerning.......

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,694Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1689 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  06:55 am Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are 3 fakes which I acquired recently. As is always the case I was skeptical of "stock pictures" etc so I purchased numerous examples of each. Upon receiving them I was shocked at the quality of the Reverses of all three. The legends are not bad. That said there are issues with the design elements when in hand. However they are good enough to cause issue when small "phone" images are used when on sites like Kijiji etc. Thank goodness the obverses are easily distinguished as counterfeits.

5 and 10 dollar gold.

1967 20 Dollar Gold (Smiling Queen)

Edited by nickelsguy
11/03/2019 07:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look so horribly fake. I am looking only at the faces. They look so odd. I hope you did not pay a lot of money for them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5390 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you got a real one so we can see the difference, please.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3691 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obvious pitting from casting the coins. Obvious plating from the colour alone. The designs look reworked and touched up, especially the smile on the lady. One glaring omission in most of these coins is that they were not minted in a press so there will be no cartwheel lustre on them. The fields are dull and obviously cast. Thanks for posting these! An interesting thing that they did in the 1st coin is the way the lip (edge of the coin) curls upward in some gold coins. They left that detail to try to pass it off as minted/pressed. Can we see the rims/edges?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1689 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin-Flipper I think you miss the point. The important fact and reasoning for buying a few of these is education and making people aware of the availability of each and every counterfeit that may and will appear in the market place. Using stock images shows nothing.
mcshilling here is a genuine obv. Image courtesy Heritage Auctions.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1689 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Libertad these are all struck. Not cast. Full luster etc. They are much better in hand in that regard. As I said earlier, I am happy the obverses are so bad.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing!

Libartad I believe these are made in a press with dies.

They're rather crude counterfeits, I'd really like to know about the well made counterfeits made with laser etched dies. Have anymore been discovered That anyone knows of? Those were very concerning.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsguy your right I apologize I did not know the intention of buying. I honestly thank you and other members for taking your time in this hobby to educate us because they could be costly mistakes in purchasing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1689 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Morning Alan. Yes, they are crude. As all the Chinese "replica" coins are. But our hobby has been decimated by CRUDE fakes in the last 15 years. Laser cut dies as a rule are too expensive to make for Canadian coins. I have seen 3 and 3 only. The 1921 5 cents and 1948 dollar counterfeits made in the mid east circa 1968ish are by far the best. A true artisan made that set.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such pieces do not challenge a well educated collector or dealer, but that's not who they are aimed at.

Those who see a potential super bargain see the hype, not the coin and often never find out they have been taken. Or they attempt to sell the pieces for a profit (less likely) and discover they are worthless.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1689 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or moxking a new or vulnerable collector gets stung and leaves the hobby which is a loss to all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3159 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mikey is a real do-gooder for the hobby ... but you can't tell that by just looking at him. A great guy and honest to the bone.
Edited by okiecoiner
11/03/2019 8:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This world needs guys like Mikey! Thank you for your time! Is truly appreciated
Learn More...
Canada
9268 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse of that 1967, the crown at the top of the coat of arms is completely wrong... first thing I saw...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5390 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsguy I took your 2 pics and did a side by side so use that are not that familiar them can see the difference. if this is not OK then please remove.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1689 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks eh! That will help people! MM
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,694Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05