Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 D/S Wheat Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  9:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JillyCbean to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my search through many wheat pennies I've come across this specific one that I'm hoping is a 1944 D/S Wheat penny error! What do y'all think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1832 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it does look a lot like OMM-002 (type 2 D/S), the mint mark on your coin seem to be too high for that to be correct.

http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20...4DOMM002.htm
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joshuach2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my first ever reply here!

Your coin has the remnants of the S too large. In the OMM, it is shorter and more in the middle of the D. Try poking it with a toothpick and see if it is just dirt or actual metal. If it is metal it may be an unlisted RPM.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if I agree... it looks very interesting! I know it's difficult, but a better head on close-up of the date area would help!
and
to CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30032 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. You may want to soak in 100% pure acetone,read up on it here on CCF by using the search box upper left of page. Here are some links on over mint marks http://doubleddie.com/921576.html
http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20...%201944D.htm
http://coppercoins.com/advsearch.php
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42313 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does not seem to be either of the two well-known varieties.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure...but anyone else multiple possible S RPMs going on?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40447 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like something on the coin on the mintmark area to me.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/09/2019 12:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
962 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is an early die state of 1944-D OMM-002, it would be mated with the first reverse die. That reverse has shallow NE-SW scratches from the left side and bottom of the vertical of the "T" in CENT.

On the obverse, even in an early die state, there should also be some evidence of the curved die scratches to the east of Lincoln's chin. If the die state is very early, the die cracks on either side VDB and the scratches along both sides of the upright in the "T" of LIBERTY probably do not exist.

On the obverse, I clarified the OPs first photo, and I see scratches in the field that have the right curvature, but are too far from the chin to be the diagnostic scratches. A sharper photo could help, unless wear has obliterated the scratches.

Would it also be possible to see high resolution closeups of the following areas:
the area close to Lincoln's chin (marked on the clarified OPs photo uploaded below)
VDB area to the rim
"RTY" of LIBERTY
"NT" area of CENT

Thanks!

Learn More...
United States
78623 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is my first ever reply here!
to the Community!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05