Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971-S Eisenhower Dollar Hub Or Master Die Doubling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4505 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  6:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this recently, a 71-S Silver Ike still in Mint Cello wrap. There are several notching on E.P.U. LIBERTY and W of WE
What do you think Hub or Master die doubling?
Excuse the glare, pics were taken through the Cello wrap.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
30344 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a DDR to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
691 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like a DDR to me

Those are mixed pictures of the obverse and the reverse, Liberty( that R) and IGWT are on the obverse.

http://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=1144

It is probably both a DDR and a DDO

Full pictures of both sides would be helpful
Edited by Gincoin43
11/11/2019 7:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
691 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
691 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4505 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John1, jbuck.

Thank you Gincoin43 for the links, your first link is very useful and comprehensive.

Reason I questioned it is because this one with having the doubling on both OBVS. and REVS. is not listed/attributed anywhere, the notching are indication of Hub doubling to me, but since there are numerous master die doubled Ikes I wasn't sure.
I will try to post a full pic of reverse and the obverse but the problem is the coin is still in the original mint Cello wrap and most likely the glare will interfere with details!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
691 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That does cause a problem, do you see any clash marks?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4505 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not that I noticed while I was taking pics. will look again when I get home from work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4505 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
do you see any clash marks?

None.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40790 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before celebrating, you might want to read what Wexler had experienced on the 1971 Eisenhower dollars:
http://doubleddie.com/356801.html
There were issues on these. After reading, you might see if this one is listed or not.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
691 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Before celebrating

It's fun to find doubling even if it is common. I suspect the reverse is indeed unlisted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4505 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop, I have read Wexler's article and that was my main reason for asking for opinions, did not find any similarities to his descriptions particularly of the R of LIBERTY, W of WE and the notching on the EPU, given majority of the described master die doubling have usually referred to the doubling/notching on top and upper portions of the devices, in this case I think the notching on the lower leg of the R, doubling on the I and B are quite convincing. TMHO
And it also seems Wexler's and Brian's finding were particularly focused on the Proof specimen as it is evident n his article and the referenced images for the DDO/DDR's without any examples of the Business strike specimens!
Who knows
Edited by Chase007
11/13/2019 2:07 pm
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's fun to find doubling even if it is common. I suspect the reverse is indeed unlisted.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40790 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Save it anyway. But if there is an issue with proof coins, the same master dies created business strikes and proof dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05