Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My 1925 S Lincoln Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
984 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know it is really difficult to get full red designation on these but this one had to be close!

Edited by Willburton
11/12/2019 08:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42704 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's probably just the photo, but that obverse seems to show rub, along with quite a few nicks and scuffs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea it's got a couple minor scratches and the obverse die is about to fall apart. I think this coin retained the high grade it did because of its crazy luster. I really think it could have gone red.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11997 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to say obverse LDS with numerous scratches and hits . Reverse a few scratches . MS-62RB . Eye appeal 6/10 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You would possibly be right tbop but like I said the luster on this coin is incredible. I can't take a good pic of it because of that.

Also guys there's only 3 hits on the obverse. The other stuff is a lamination and scratches on the c ASE
Edited by Willburton
11/12/2019 09:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's RB and closer to BN than Red.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7867 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see at MS62RB
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18448 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be at MS-62RB, a little dark around the obverse rim. Soooo close to Red.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without seeing in person, and taking your word for quality of luster, I couldn't go higher than 63RB, and 62RB seems more likely from the picture.
I know Red is supposed to be more desirable and usually is more expensive, but I personally like to collect super attractive toned coppers. I love the look of toned copper, and toning can bring a uniqueness and sometimes an iridescence to each coin in the set so that they all don't look alike. I am presently building a sel of toned S mint wheat cents. It's really a tough series with several tough dates (but without that pesky '14D).Some are brown, almost everything on the market beginning in 1935 is red. Most are red brown. Finding uniquely attractive toned red cents has proven much more difficult.
Even if your coin is RB I think you'll find it enjoyable. Every time you change the lighting or tilt it in different directions it will look different and maybe display some additional colors.
Haven't got my '25S yet. A very tough date in mint state
Edited by Sharkman
11/12/2019 1:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me see what I can do. It is hard to get the original color in a pic.

PCGS gave it a 64 RB and at the price I got it it's an easy double!
Edited by Willburton
11/12/2019 1:53 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You done good!
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11997 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also guys there's only 3 hits on the obverse

Really ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16089 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great reverse for the issue.

MS-61
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Admittedly a nice coin, but MS-64 seems... off.

I'm gonna have to go with MS-62, however I do think it's deserving of a full red designation. I hope you enjoy it nonetheless and hope it finds a good home with you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1925s coins as most of you know are not very appealing in RB without a $5000 price tag. This one compares to the 64 RB coins on CoinFacts. The 62rb coins don't have luster or decent strike

They are almost a breed of they're own. I'll eBay this one soon and let you guys know the outcome!
Edited by Willburton
11/12/2019 5:28 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05