Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Feedback On Image To Improve Photographic Technique

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
409 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
And the climb up the learning curve begins anew.

I have struggled to avoid extreme highlighting. This was not terrible compared to my earlier attempts. Any suggestions on how to improve? Thanks.
Edited by Oijogja
11/13/2019 08:43 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42891 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What sort of feedback are you looking for here? If grading, please show both sides. If other, please be specific.
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe they want to know how their photography looks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6744 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good. One thing I'd probably do is raise the coin up on a pedestal, so the background would be more out of focus. Also, is the color accurate, or is there a white balance problem (brownish)?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3170 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good start. Focus is good. Image is sharp. Minimal blown highlights and crushed shadows. Lighting angles look good to show luster. I would bring the lights up to an even higher angle but they are not too bad as-is. I agree with pepactonius about the WB being off. Fix that and you'll have good "raw material" ready for some postprocessing.

For background I recommend black velvet. You need to find some that is not sparkly when hit with direct light.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
3170 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To minimize the over-exposed highlights, you can set EV to -1/3 or -2/3 (you are on Av, right?). Then the overall image will be a bit dark, so adjust contrast to -2 or -4. This will compress the dynamic range a bit and give you more flexibility in postprocessing.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback, and yes, to clarify, I was looking for feedback on improving my photographic technique. I will try to create some better separation from the background; this was actually taken with the coin sitting on the back of my day planner. It was what I could improvise at the time to create some contrast, but I will try to use a prop if I can manage it in the future. I'm not sure how to address the white balancing. I have not played with that at all yet. I have attempted to greatly diffuse the lights I'm using, but it's tough to angle them in a way that still allows me to adjust focus. I will try to work on that, though. I have played with the EV set to -1/3 or -2/3. Tonight I seemed to be preferring -1/3. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this, but I have been reducing the luminance noise reduction down to zero. It seems to default to 2. I also reduce the Raw brightness slider down to -.17 or -.33, contrast -1, highlights -5, sharpness 4. All of that is just guesswork, though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7089 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  03:42 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For raising the coin off the background try using a small cut down piece of cork, it can be difficult to get the cork flat on both ends I've found, but it really helps by getting rid of the background, depending on the height of course and your aperture setting.

Getting the cork flat keeps the coin horizontal to your image plane and in focus without tilt, if that wasn't obvious as to why a level cork is important.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6744 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For raising the coin, I just use small plastic dustcaps or bottlecaps,depending on the size of the coin. These should be automatically flat.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16115 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the OP:
To improve the feedback you are seeking, it may be not too late to modify your thread title.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have some corks around, and some of them definitely aren't flat, so I'll see if I can adjust them. Sel, I took your advice and edited the topic name. Thank you everyone for your input.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3170 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some folks use golf tees stuck in a piece of clay or whatever.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05