Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Marius The Usurper New Pick Up...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1606 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  6:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a coin I didnt think I'd be picking up this side of Christmas....Thanks Finn235!
Marcus Aurelius Marius...
Supposedly a Black smith by trade who joined the Roman army eventually achieving officer status. After the murder of the Emperor Postumus at Moguntiacum the army declared him the new Emperor...He quickly moved the army to Trier where he was eventually killed by Postumus' Praetorian Prefect Victorinus in 269AD after only 2-3 months of reign...
MARIUS. Romano-Gallic Emperor, 269 AD.
IMP CM AVR MARIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
VICTORIA AVG, Victory standing left, holding wreath and palm.
RIC#17...Mint Trier?
The coin has lovely detail in hand

I'd Love to see some 'Usurper' coins.......Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice indeed, great detail on one of the more rarer Gallic Emperors. Finn always comes through when in need.
Edited by travelcoin
11/13/2019 6:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
22671 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pickup Paul.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16114 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mariuses are very few and far between.
Congratulations: always an opportunistic pick up, this one in reasonably nice condition.

Legend has it that he was 'done through', with a sword of his own manufacture.
Being a Roman Emperor or a 'wannabe' Emperor,
was a somewhat unhealthy and questionable career choice !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1606 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys!....
This is quite a big hole filled for me...Although all coins of his are quite rare the OP coin type is probably the most common...And believe me it looks much better in hand...

Quote:
Legend has it that he was 'done through', with a sword of his own manufacture.

Also its said that he only ruled for 2 or 3 days which seems unlikely due to the number of coin types minted unless news of his death didnt reach the mints for a while, which could be plausible given the utter chaos at the time....
Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
3046 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  06:31 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pick up
Always wanted one but they are difficult to win at auction
Seems there is always someone willing to go deep !

I wondered about the shortness of the reign too
It has been suggested that Marius was well funded and most of the coins were made previous to the big party
Then after all the bribes had been distributed and the party ended much too soon
anyone holding these things wanted to make them disappear fast lest they implicate themselves by having his coins in their pocket
But it is speculation
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xxmarkabyx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really love the ancient depictions of Victory on their coins. This has become an area of collecting for me. I also have a full back tattoo of Augustus Saint-Gaudens' Victory that stands before William T. Sherman in Manhattan.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1606 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

Quote:
I wondered about the shortness of the reign too

Yes Some ancient historical scholars even stated he reigned for only 2 or 3 days...Moguntiacum (Mainz) is approx 90 miles from Treverorum (Trier) so would've taken a legion a little over 3 days to move from one to the other and on top they probably spent a few days at least ransacking Moguntiacum before marching?

Not seen any Usurper coins posted....Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always been curious that some emperors, Like Marius and Aemilian, who only ruled for two to three months, have coins that are very rare and expensive.

Then there is Quintillus, who was on the throne the same amount of time, but his coins don't carry any where near the same price tags.

I would assume that not being a usurper, Quintillus produced a lot more coins during his short reign?
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1606 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would assume that not being a usurper, Quintillus produced a lot more coins during his short reign?
.....Yes I agree...My personal opinion is that Marius probably only reigned for arond 4-6 weeks whereas Quintillus probably around 5-6 months,this can be seen in the number of mint locations running for Quintillus, epecially at Rome, Mediolanum and Siscia....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05