Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Air Tites For UK 50 Pence Coins - Recommendation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
568 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  7:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
http://www.air-tites.com/Air-Tite_R...olders_1.htm

The British decimal fifty pence coin since 1997 has a diameter of 27.3 mm...so if I were to want air tites, would I want to get 27 mm or 28 mm?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would get the 28 might not fit in the 27 if both are true to size.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4153 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are planning on getting Air-Tite holders that have a foam ring, you should go with the 27mm size for a fit that will hold the coin in place - the foam is flexible and will give enough to hold a 27.3mm coin. I use this approach for medals in my collection that have a non-round shape.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16071 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I acquired a 1937 George V1 gold proof 5 a few years ago.
Diameter 37mm plain edge. (technically a pattern, due to the plain edge.)

It now protected in a hard plastic acrylic screw positive seal capsule, in a display box originally intended for a silver proof British Crown. The only problem is that the capsule was for a coin of 39mm diameter, not 37mm.

Problem solved:
Around the edge of the 5 gold coin I cut a thin sliver of spongy styrene foam recovered from a food package container, and placed this as an insert around the edge of the gold coin. This arrangement protects the edge of the gold coin, which is notorius for being lightly scratched, when it was taken out of it's original proof set box. The styrene foam provides best possible protection for what is an extremely delicate edge.

My 1937 5 gold proof remains at pristine perfect FDC* (equivalent to Sheldon PF 70)
It remains perfectly protected and displayed in it's own presentation box.
The box and capsule albeit originally intended for another coin.

* FDC = Fleur De Coin (a French term used for pristine coins in the British grading system)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jersey also used a foam insert to house their square silver proof and gold proof 1 coins of 1981, that were housed in hard acrylic screw seal crown sized capsules.
Edited by sel_69l
11/15/2019 02:08 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05