Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weirdo Barbarian? Coin To Identify

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Netherlands
34 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  06:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yet another puzzle :)

Actually, this was bought from unreliable seller which do sell mostly forgery. But there were a few species which do look unusual and this is one of them.

Weight is 1.4 gr, material probably bronze.

Any thoughts are welcome :)

Could provide better photo if needed.

Thanks!

Learn More...
United States
22659 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A weird coin indeed, I've not seen anything like that before.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13867 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vstefanyuk, my initial thought was that this looked vaguely Aksumite, but there are several problems with this:

1. No match in my Munro-Hay. There are some with a portrait on either side, but none have that anchor-thing in front like your first picture shows.
2. Copper Aksum coins used Ge'ez script whereas your coin has Latin letters.

Since you purchased this from a known peddler of forgeries, is it possible that this is just a fantasy?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Netherlands
34 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it could be not genuine. But the way it looks, leaves some hope. Could it be an imitation?
Valued Member
Sweden
118 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The design looks a bit like some Merovingian coins, and there are examples with a similar form of cross in front of the face.

However, I have not seen any Merovingians with portraits on both sides. There is usually a non-figurative design, sometimes an animal, on the other side. Also, although Merovingians can have rather well-formed letters in some cases, the inscription here is unexpectedly neat and regular.

Another group of coins with rustic portraits is Anglo-Saxon sceattas, but the portraits have a somewhat different style and inscriptions are rare - so less likely.

Even though I don't see a direct match with any Merovingian, that possibility shouldn't be ruled out - the style of those span over a wide range and I would think there are many non-cataloged examples. If you want to explore this possibility further, there are ancient but perfectly useable works online, like Prou's Les Monnaies Mérovingiennes: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/b...990533.image

But, one should also not rule out the possibility that this is a product of the Fantasy Mint.
Edited by erafjel
11/16/2019 07:55 am
Netherlands
34 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel thanks! Will look into resource you provided.
Netherlands
34 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Btw, found some coin with portraits on both sides (maybe there are more):

Another thought, I do see there also some little silver shining. So, it could be also that it was silvered coin.
Valued Member
Sweden
118 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work!
Pillar of the Community
United States
792 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody is perfect. Even the most notorious fakesters may be fooled on occasion by a genuine coin, right?
Edited by Kushanshah
11/17/2019 3:41 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05