Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Made A Purchase And I'm New! Are These Real? Any Help/Tips Welcome

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  5:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nick_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to this world and I can't tell if a made a good deal, I bought these from a local shop and was wondering if they are real :) the 1884 is clearly thicker, here's the pictures and thanks for helping

Edited by Nick_
11/15/2019 5:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2851 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

The simplest and first tests are to weigh them and determine if they are magnetic.

it would also help if your pictures were cropped and NOT at an angle. It really helps.
Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nick_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the weigh is fine and they are non mag,sorry for the photos it's my first time
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1575 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

So far, so good. Do you have any reason to think that they could be counterfeit?

Next item. Limit the contact with the coins and try not to rub the coins together. That can quickly lower the value. It's also better to hold the coins by the edges so as not to get finger prints on the coins from the oils and salts on your skin.

I wear cotton gloves when I handle coins. I try not to touch the face, at least on the coins that look uncirculated. Just a suggestion.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Joining the CCF is a great start for any newbie. Back when I started, there weren't even computers, much less online forums .... there was electric power though.

To my experience, collectors can typically trust local coin shops to sell genuine coins. That said, even the experts are known to make misteaks. Get to know local dealers and learn from them .... especially so, the old-timers!

New collectors are well-advised to invest in a Red Book and coin grading guide. See if there are any local clubs, so that you can network with other collectors. Attend some shows to gauge market prices, and avoid impulse buying. Move slow and devise a plan to build a meaningful collection, based on your interests and budget.

The gathering of information, learning while avoiding pitfalls, will surely contribute to your experience in this great hobby.
Edited by ExoGuy
11/15/2019 8:35 pm
Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nick_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for tips guys, very helpful
Pillar of the Community
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations.
Unless you give you coins an acetone bath soon you may have fingerprints on them before long.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to help, we are, Nick. Kanga makes a good point about leaving prints on coins. Hold'em by the edge.

When posting coins on the CCF, be sure to show pics of both sides. Might the date on your S-mint $1 be 1893?
Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nick_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry, I'm a newbie but I will listen to all your comments.
the S mint is a 1883, and sorry for the photos again, I posted on mobile and it was pretty hard to do :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9231 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where's the obverse of the coin with more wear? The 1884 looks uncirculated and would naturally be thicker than a heavily worn coin.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1884 is a beauty!

Good pics make for the best posts, Nick. In time, you can learn to use the image optimizer on CCF. It's a handy tool. You can rotate pics to the proper orientation for viewing, crop pics and more.

Regardless of age and experience, we're all still learning about numismatics here .... 65 years and counting, I am!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18723 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like you got some nice coins.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11997 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Regardless of age and experience, we're all still learning about numismatics here .... 65 years and counting, I am!

Ain't that the truth !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18448 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look genuine to me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05