Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Not Sure Where To Post This, 1989 Belize 25 Cents DDR?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
190 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  03:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. Previously posted in Canadian Variety and Error Coins. ***

I was not really sure where to post this so forgive me if its in the wrong area, but I have been looking through a lot of Machine Doubling lately to get myself more familiar with what it looks like and when I looked at this 1989 25 cent coin the date looks like it could be doubled, in the 1 there are noticeable notches I have been reading about that coins with Machine Doubling wont show but a DDO or DDR will. I know nothing about this coin or fully know how to detect legitimate doubled dies but I do have it in hand and will post pics of full coin.

again sorry if this is the wrong area.

Edited by JohnWayne007
11/17/2019 03:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10354 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  06:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really looks like MD to me because of the shelf-like appearance. I do encourage posting full coin pics in every instance. You never know what clues may be there.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
11/17/2019 06:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2481 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:31 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see more pics, could be a doubled die.
Valued Member
Canada
190 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply guys, Alright so I took some pics of the coin this is the full reverse.

Here I took a picture of another 1989 belize 25 cent and put it side by side with mine. If you notice the thickness of the date are different.

In this picture you can see where the possible doubling is more close up.

This last photo I took the liberty of marking the areas that look like notches. At first glance I thought it might just be MD but from everything I was reading if it were MD these notches wouldn't be there. Although some look "Shelf like" a lot of it also looks rounded.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2481 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leaning towards this one being a doubled die, nice find!
Valued Member
Canada
190 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Tanman2001, If it is indeed a doubled die it will be the first one I have found! I am holding off on getting too excited until others can chime in. But my next questions are would it be beneficial to get this graded, and if so who/where would I do so? I am located in Canada so I'm not quite sure who would be the appropriate place to get this graded and my last question would be is it worth anything.

I have been looking at a lot of belize coinage lately and I cant find any posts about errors or even varieties and if this would even be something of interest to collectors.

I mostly look at Canadian and US coins so this is a whole other ball park for me.

Thank you in advance and I hope some more people can let me know what they think.
Edited by JohnWayne007
11/17/2019 3:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2481 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know of any company or expert that is currently attributing or grading Belize varieties. CONECA, at some point, was planning on attributing non-US die varieties but nothing has come of it yet. I'm considering starting attributions for non-US varieties on my website, but I'm still far from having that ready. As of right now, there's not much else you can do except get opinions from other members here on CCF or elsewhere.

Because there are no attributers of Belize varieties and there's is no list or catalogue of them right now, interest in your coin would be very limited. Maybe you can get a few dollars more than what a normal coin would get (if this is a doubled die). I'd recommend you hold onto it for now, but that's up to you.
Edited by Tanman2001
11/17/2019 7:54 pm
Valued Member
Canada
190 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for taking the time to reply Tanman2001, I plan to hold onto this for a while with no intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon and that is why I asked about grading, I was just curious to know if it was beneficial in the long run to have it slabbed if possible or if it should just be put into a 2x2. I would hate to see the condition deteriorate over time if it really is a true DDR so having it in an appropriate holder seems like a good idea.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2481 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 2x2, or maybe you could find an air-rite in that size. Without any list or catalogue to give this one a number, I'm not sure if any TPG would label it a DD as this wouldn't be a "recognized variety."
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10354 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the nice pics!

I am leaning toward it being a doubled die now, too. The doubling of the 1 is what is convincing me. Nice find!
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
Canada
190 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys have been more than helpful thank you for all of the information. I was looking online and came across Belize coins in NGC holders, I was curious if there is no one that currently grades Belize coinage than how did they get those ones graded? Is it because they are Gold & Silver coins and not regular circulation coins? for example I found this one...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Belize-Ext-...AOSwrNRdaFNt

But it is not made of gold or silver so I thought I should ask. I thought maybe it was graded because it was a mule and one of the more simple errors to detect but that still doesn't explain how he/she got it graded if NGC doesn't grade them at all accept for gold and silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2481 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They would grade any Belize coins. What I meant is that they might not grade Belize varieties. They'd grade the coin but not label it as a doubled die.

Sorry for the confusion.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05