Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1927 St Gaudens Double Eagle - What Grade?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  4:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Talc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

Recently inherited this coin (was a surprise, I don't live in the US)

Can anyone tell me what grade I can I expect and should I encapsulate (and who do I choose?)

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42868 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible slight rub (AU-58), but could well be as high as MS-66, assuming it's genuine. Hard to be sure from pics.
Learn More...
United States
16334 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost has a dipped look. Hard to judge from your photos.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better pics to determine genuine-ness.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heritage PCGS MS-66 on the left.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on what Bobby put side by side with yours, I'm concerned that what you have may not be genuine.
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

ANA Member since 2007.
Learn More...
United States
16334 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The surfaces are what concern me. Talc, do you have a weight?
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the weight would definitely help most decide on authenticity. does your coin have a lettered edge? Had to check myself to make sure it wasn't a denver mint coin. wowsers on that 27d $20 not that yours isn't necessarily drool worthy but sometimes a tiny letter makes all the difference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4039 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
7900 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My first thought as soon as I saw this was that the overall look of the coin was not right. take photo of edge and get a weight on it to ensure that it at least passes those two tests so you don't waste your $ sending it off to a TPG
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps this coin was minted after they remodeled the Capital building?
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
33.44 grams

I remember my mother showing it to me in the late 1970s (she had inherited from her foster mother)

My mother knew nothing about coins and would have never have bought it. I know that there are plenty of Chinese knock-offs now but then?

Thanks for all the replies
Learn More...
United States
79391 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18473 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many red flags with this coin. Many of the details in the feathers and Liberty are not correct. I believe this one is counterfeit but you'll have to submit it to a TPG.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope it is real, but from the pictures side by side The stars on your inherited coin look a bit mushy above the word Liberty, and the bottom of the torch looks pointier than the graded coin. The whole coin looks very soft.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've scanned the coin. Image resolution is poor however I think it still might be better than my previous pictures using my iphone.

Same coin

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05