Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

China Republic Flags Truly Freak Unique 10 Cash Coin As Rarities

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Malaysia
163 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  04:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Thecollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please check it out on the scans below and let me knows of what you think later there

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13833 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That does look pretty unique @tc, but I wonder if someone held this coin half-way in an acid bath for a while. Or do the lines of damage/delam on front and back not line up?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel sorry for that coin

I agree it looks more like some corrosive process rather than delamination. Though the different percentages of each side affected are a bit puzzling (slightly over half on the flag side, but slightly under half on the side with the English legends, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me).
Edited by tdziemia
11/19/2019 06:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2851 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Though the different percentages of each side affected are a bit puzzling
Perhaps the coin was just held in the acid (or whatever) at an angle and not vertically.
Valued Member
316 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3171 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far all posts that are described as "freak" or 'potential rare error' are all questionable.

This is no exception. At minimum - cleaned. I vote for acid damage. Ive tested on a few coins for hydrochloric acid dip for science class test and the result looks awfully similar.

There is no way planchet flaw have issues at both side with similar orientation.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
Malaysia
163 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thecollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let say if it has been acid how would you explain for the center lines because the center lines are so straight and why not put for the acid on the whole entire surfaces instead half of it to become unusual enough these are my questions and hopefully you can satisfy for me with your explanation there
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3171 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... No one sane enough would put their hands or fingers in hydrochloric acid.

Take it from edge of the coin, slowly dip in acid through halfway and pull out.

I highly recommend you eat a humble pie and do some serious study.

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3163 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
guys this person has posted on PCGS forums about rare coins from his country and whatnot with asking prices of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just search and you'll see it. Seems like wishful thinking/trolling.
Valued Member
Malaysia
163 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thecollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The game is not over yet my friends normal surface size is thirty percent without straight line on obverse and normal surface size is fifty percent with straight line on reverse size the normal surface on obverse side is smaller than the surface on reverse side which is bigger for both normal surfaces and lines should be the same if dip half into the acid water after my research so your acid thought and opinion do not make sense anymore please open eyes big enough try to notice the normal surface and the line pattern on both sides of the coin and tell me for why their difference but not the same right for sure there
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13833 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tc, you see that there at CCF is a pretty consistent opinion here that your coin was dipped in acid. As it is clear that you disagree with this conclusion, how about if you describe for us the minting process which could have caused this type of an error? Right now, I don't see how a coin can be minted like this.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Romania
78 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bogdanjovi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again, I am trying to write without any commas and points. It's not working...
I am preparing for Christmas a really freak unique coin. Of course, mint error.
Will pour some drops of acid on it, then use some polish. Maybe hammer it a little. And some oxide, to change colour.
Then I will post it on this forum, as the most spectacular mint error, one of a kind, one in a billion coin.

Really, what is this forum turning into?
Edited by bogdanjovi
11/21/2019 3:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
normal surface size is thirty percent without straight line on obverse and normal surface size is fifty percent with straight line on reverse size ... (edit)... tell me for why their difference

As correctly pointed out by @january1may, this is explained by holding the coin in acid at an angle. In fact, using trigonometry, we can determine that the angle was about 23 degrees.
My measurements on your photos (made perpendicular to the acid line in the photographs) give 46% clean surface on the flag side, and 57% clean surface on the other side. Since the coin has a diameter of 32 mm, this means that the acid line is displaced by about 1.5 mm (11% times 32 mm) between obverse and reverse. So we have the situation shown in the diagram, which gives as a solution that the coin was held at about a 23 degree angle when you inserted in the acid:

Yes, the "game" is over.
Edited by tdziemia
11/21/2019 7:41 pm
Valued Member
Malaysia
163 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thecollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These copper coin has curve line cut across surface on obverse side and it has straight line cut across on reverse side to prove it is not acid before because when you put half of coin dip into acid water and your coin likely receive straight line cut across on the surface on both sides of the coin but not receive curve line on one side of the coin surface as result please do not judge the book by its cover you should think properly and imagine yourself surely you get it so how are you going to explain for curve line cut across on the surface there
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3171 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with tdziemia's description.

Thecollectible - by all means send it to NGC or PCGS. Any further discussion is futile and redundant.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These copper coin has curve line cut across surface on obverse side

This is a surface tension effect where the acid-coin contact line meets the edge of the coin. On one side, the coin supports the liquid, and on the other side gravity works against it.
The game is over.

However, you deserve credit for identifying that counterfeit flower coin on the other thread . Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Any further discussion is futile and redundant.

Agreed. Now I'm done
Edited by tdziemia
11/22/2019 06:40 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05