Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eye Appeal V. Buy Appeal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
91 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  09:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have been happily focused on assembling a nice set of 1893 to 1950s Commemorative halves and concentrating on slabs 63 or 64+ (when affordable) since I am very concerned about counterfeits and until my grading of raw coins improves I think slabs are a better alternative. I am also buying some raw coins to use for grading experience comparing against the slabs. I know there are some fake slabs out there but I think buying primarily on Ebay from high feedback sellers will keep me safer. Also bought some good reference books which may turn out to be my best investment. There are some amazing posts here of outstanding high grade coins some frosty white and some with amazing toning. My conclusion is that for me- eye appeal wins over grade in many cases. Some of the 66 or 67 graded coins with black mark blemishes or what I feel is odd toning, blackish rim toning etc strike me as less appealing (to me) than say a 60 or 63 that is frosty and clean. I admit I am not an experienced collector and wondering what others feel about this. Am I overthinking the eye appeal issue. Also, once in a slab is toning basically done or could it still change appearance? I am not necessarily accumulating for "investment" purposes so the eye appeal to me seems to guide my purchases. thoughts?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10147 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I have been happily focused on assembling a nice set of 1893 to 1950s Commemorative halves and concentrating on slabs 63 or 64+ (when affordable) ...

Sounds like a a worthy, difficult endeavor!

Quote:
I know there are some fake slabs out there but I think buying primarily on Ebay from high feedback sellers will keep me safer.

Also make sure they have a return policy.

Quote:
My conclusion is that for me- eye appeal wins over grade in many cases.

Good plan, IMO. You'll see the adage "buy the coin, not the holder" countless times on CCF. Buy what appeals to you and what is "right" for your collection.

Quote:
Also, once in a slab is toning basically done or could it still change appearance?

From what I understand, slabs are not air tight so environmental conditions can affect the coin. Proper storage is important even with slabs.

Good luck with your quest and be sure to keep us updated with posts and photos!
Edited by CelticKnot
11/19/2019 10:18 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12800 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eye appeal is king and likely always will be. The eye appealing coins sell for premiums over the ugly coins of the same grade and sometimes close to if not more than the ugly ones the next grade up

Quote:
Also, once in a slab is toning basically done or could it still change appearance?

It can still change though that's the best protection you can get. There's tons of variables with toning
Fire A.J. Preller
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05