Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"W" Mint Mark: Silver & Gold Maple Leaf

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 915Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
216 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  2:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received a note about two new releases yesterday. The gold one was already sold out as of this morning.

The two coins - one gold and one silver - feature Iconic Maple Leaf. They were struck in the Winnipeg facility, with "W" mint mark. The mint claimed the finish is "burnished." Personally, I couldn't tell the difference from the images; they look very much like regular bullion coins to me.

Pure Silver Coin - "W" Mint Mark: Silver Maple Leaf
1oz
$94.95
Mintage: 10,000

Pure Gold Coin - "W" Mint Mark: Gold Maple Leaf
1 oz
$2,799.95
Mintage: 400

What do you think?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6653 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like Bullion coin for CAD 95

When first "replica" came out in 2014, priced near CAD 80 - it was somehow innovative (package as for numis coins and claimed improved quality), but not much people were interested.
since then RCM annually releases 'numismatic' overpriced SML with variety of ANA privy marks.

I think the new one to be similar to previous.

[But I might mistake - the recent SML+ASE as set took a lot of attention, unlike SML and ASE in separate]
Edited by Silveroid
11/20/2019 3:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4646 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@YesOrNo: The burnished silver eagles produced by the US Mint have a more satiny finish than the standard bullion version. The RCM might be offering the SML with a similar type of finish. The US Mint's burnished coins look similar to their bullion counterparts when viewed individually, but when put side-by-side, the difference between the two versions can be easily seen.

Quote:
...the recent SML+ASE as set took a lot of attention, unlike SML and ASE in separate

Much of the added attention given to the "Pride of Two Nations" set was because it contained coins that were not available elsewhere - not individually, not in other sets. If it simply had coins that could be purchased individually, I doubt very much it would have generated the same level of interest/excitement.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
216 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered both gold and silver "w" coins after watching the product video on mint website. I picked the package from post office today, opened it, and returned the coins right away.

Both silver and gold coins look like proof coins with a "w" mark. Where is the burnish finish? Sorry, but I didn't pay a premium only for the "w" mark.

And the gold coin had a s-shaped imperfection on the necklace of the queen. The mint only minted 400 of this, and couldn't get it right.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6653 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Both silver and gold coins look like proof coins with a "w" mark.

Just to have it clarified - "proof" (frosted Maple Leaf on mirrored field) finish or bullion (Brilliant Uncirculated) finish?
Valued Member
Canada
216 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both silver and gold coins were very much on the proof side, as I could see reflections on the field. I'd say both coins were as 80% shinny as a proof coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17286 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ON the gold 1 oz, too much premium for a bullion coin, despite the low mintage of only 400.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 915Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05