Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have What Might Be Considered A Stupid Question.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  3:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rbjr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've always wondered why the B.E.P. doesn't issue commemorative currency the way the mint issues commemorative coins. Is it a matter of constitutional legality or a matter of technical practicality? I don't know a lot about U.S. paper money, but I've always wondered about this.
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rbjr85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they were to issue commemorative notes I think the $2 denomination would be the most ideal for a few reasons. 1) It's obscure enough to the casual person to be novel enough to get attention. After all how often do you see $2 notes in general circulation anymore. The only way to get them is to ask for them at the bank or order them directly from the B.E.P. 2) Since the denomination isn't being used for general circulation and it's been pretty much relegated to a sort of collector's item anyway, why not release commemorative ones with different designs like they do with coins. And since both the U.S. Mint and the B.E.P are under the authority of the treasury department they could be companion notes to the commemorative coins issued. 3) It's a low enough denomination that anyone could afford to collect them, as long as the surcharge isn't too high.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd wager it's a technical limitation, particularly around security/counterfeiting. Paper currency has higher denominations than coins so there is greater potential loss. Coins can be mechanically distinguished by size/weight/conductivity, but paper currency readers rely on different security measures inherent in the design, so different designs are harder for machines to accommodate than with coins.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2353 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The BEP primarily does commemorative (collector driven) currency by utilizing the serial numbers. I've got hundreds of $2 notes with serial numbers representing the year of issue. The series date on modern US paper money doesn't change every year, like coins, so having the year of issue incorporated into the serial number is pretty cool.

Does the general public actually look at their coins ? It was just a couple of years ago I discovered that the Mint had four different reverse designs on the 2009 Lincoln cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42897 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I did not know that until reading this post, honestly.
Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting...
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was just a couple of years ago I discovered that the Mint had four different reverse designs on the 2009 Lincoln cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10150 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Philistines!

I suppose you don't know about the Westward Journey nickels then?!

Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pillar of the Community
United States
2353 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Just before switching to paper money, I was up late one night watching television and stumbled upon Mike Mezack, who was hawking a pair of the Westward Journey Nickels in ICG PF70 holders. He talked me into them something like 15 years ago.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4057 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2019  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was up late one night watching television and stumbled upon Mike Mezack,

How many lessons learned start with those words.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05