Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851 Gold Dollar Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  8:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add britmac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an 1851 Gold Dollar in what looks like great condition. It was my grandmother's who passed away earlier this year. I have a small coin collection but think this may be worth a fair amount of money and since a coin is hard to share with the family I am thinking I should maybe sell it. I am hoping the coin community might be able to help with a few questions. What is the best way to get the most value of said coin? Should I have it graded? does that increase value? Doing some looking I am finding 2 main graders NGC or PCGS; is one better than the other? Any help, comments, advice would be much appreciated. Thank You!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9235 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Your grandmother left you a very nice coin. Yes, it should be graded to maximize value. PCGS is the #1 grading company with NGC a close second in many people's minds.

Your coin looks like it could grade MS65 or even 66. It's hard to tell from images. You might have a $3,000 coin there.

ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
5923 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably about $3000 value... If it were me, I would do everything I could to keep the coin, especially in the family. However, under certain circumstances, I understand, you have to sell. I hope it works out!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5106 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The glare in the photos is making it hard to evaluate the surfaces. I see a few small hairline scratches and marks but it does appear to be mint state. Based on what I can see I don't think it would grade as high as MS-65.
Can you post new photos with less intense lighting?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12795 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whether or not you sell it I would send that to PCGS
Fire A.J. Preller
Learn More...
United States
79391 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42868 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper pics would really help.

to the CCF!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add britmac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the response. I was looking into how to submit a coin for grading at PCSG, and it was a bit confusing. Roughly how much should it cost to get this graded?

I know that certain things should not be cleaned because that could effect value. Is there a cleaning solution that can be used with a nonabrasive cloth to get finger oil and dirt off without harming the coin?

Here are some better lit photos. It is such a small coin.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12795 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a cleaning solution that can be used with a nonabrasive cloth to get finger oil and dirt off without harming the coin?

No, don't even try it. Leave it as is.

Quote:
I was looking into how to submit a coin for grading at PCSG, and it was a bit confusing. Roughly how much should it cost to get this graded?

Which membership you get will depend on how many coins you have to submit. If it's just that one get the $69 dollar one, if you have 8 get the one with the 8 coin vouchers as that will save you money.

That coins will be regular service which is $35 + $10 handling fee plus $28 return shipping. If you want a picture of it too add another $5. I would add the picture with the gold shield as that way you will have at least have a picture of it even if you sell it.
Fire A.J. Preller
Edited by basebal21
11/22/2019 3:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9235 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new pics do show more distractions but this tiny coin (magnified 20X on my screen) has booming full mint bloom and is very well struck.

Don't touch it. Submit it for grading. It should make 64 easily and still has a shot at 65.

P.S. I'd send it to PCGS via Registered Mail with $3,000 in insurance.
ANA #R3154474
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05