Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On This Rhode Island Half? Grade And Price

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 678Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
140 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  11:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hoping experts can provide opinion on a grade and price? thanks very much

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48760 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you give us a larger pic of the obverse?
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as requested- a hopefully larger image of Rhode Island reverse. thanks very much.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48760 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mark next to the anchor detracts, but should still make 65 easily.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if seller has in a PCGS holder grading 66 you feel that might be overgraded? worth $170?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3270 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2019  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where's commens and ftcollins ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4467 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not consider the coin shown to be a choice MS-66 example. There appear to be divots on the feathers of the Native American on the obverse - a primary focal point. I am positive you can find an example with cleaner/more attractive surfaces.

The price point of $170 is OK, but not a "bargain" - especially with the divots.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Philadelphia and Denver Rhode Island halves are fairly common in higher grades. It's all about eye appeal for those coins. (The San Francisco is a pricey and known condition scarcity in higher grades.)

The posted coin has the usual scuffing on high points and some minor chatter throughout the obverse and reverse. The obverse in particular has some troubling contact marks, including the gouge on the Indian's feathers noted by @commems. Other visible dings on the obverse include the Indian's outstretched arm and shoulder, the rim at 11:30, and several numbers and letters in the legend. The reverse scratch to the left of the anchor was noted by @Coinfrog.

All in all, I could see this one going as an eyeball 65-ish on a bourse floor, but it wouldn't snag full price because of the contact marks. I could see this one trading right at Greysheet. Better P and D examples are out there, and likely for around the same price. JMHO.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your time evaluating this coin which I bought for about $170 in a PCGS MS 66 slab. I am learning a lot about proper grading from all your observations. I pretty much stay away from raw coins (until my grading skills get better)and learning that even slabs are not problem free as well. Most concerned about getting a fake slab. Thanks all and enjoy your holiday!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3270 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2019  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Feel free to post here and ask about any coin before purchasing. commems ,fortcollins and others have years of knowledge to share
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2019  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've often thought that I would never buy anything if I looked at it too closely. This coin is an example ; the Indian's skull fracture, battle wounds, obv rim damage at 12 o'clock and the long scrape by the anchor IMHO caps the coin at 63. Decent skin and reasonable canoe bow abrasion are nice at arm's length.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 678Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05