Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Olympic Coin Set Patterns

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  5:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add checkup to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't want to have my account locked or anything of the sort but would it be alright for me to share a link to an auction house that is currently offering a number of patterns from the 1976 Olympic coin set from the estate of Derek Dawson for sale in an upcoming auction? I am including images of some of the coins for at the very least archiving purposes

If this is not allowed please remove thread, and accept my humblest of apologies

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4430 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is that real Olympic coins for what ever reasons has no collectors following after the event, the 76 sets are sold at bullion value all the time. It's kind of cool but doubt there would be much interest, maybe more value in donating to BOC museum or Canada's Olympic Association.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The collectability of the standard issue notwithstanding, all patterns for Canadian decimal coins are important. I agree that the best place is the National Currency Collection in the Bank of Canada. I urge you to contact them re: purchase or donation.
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add checkup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand completely what you both are saying and I would tend to agree that it would be nice if these could be enjoyed by more than one person, however with that said I am not the owner of these coins, nor did I consign them to be put in this auction I mentioned.
Learn More...
Canada
8787 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  09:29 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would hope that the auction, being in Ottawa, would attract the attention of the Bank of Canada Currency Museum - because that is where those belong, in my opinion.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1461 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
70's was such a weird time for design.
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add checkup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to post a link since SPP has seen this thread and didn't say I shouldn't, however again please accept my humblest apologies if this is against the rules and please remove link. I don't want to do anything that would cause my account to be locked. lots 41-51 my personal favorite is the last coin in my original post, looks like a bunch of floating bananas.
https://walkersauctions.hibid.com/c...tion/?ipp=10

a few more images of different patterns as well

It's interesting how they made up some copies in what looks like copper as well.

and the extra strand of hair over the forehead of the bottom two coins.
Edited by checkup
12/05/2019 6:14 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8787 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  10:44 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my personal favorite is the last coin in my original post, looks like a bunch of floating bananas

First thing I thought of was perhaps a harbour in NFLD, full of dory boats...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1461 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bronze one would be nice to own that's interesting!
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PastExpiry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the bids are around the $200 mark typically for 4 patterns. Does anyone know what the approximate worth is of these patterns? I think the auction site suggests they could go for 400 to $1000 dollars, but that's more of a number that THEY would like to see.

Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PastExpiry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So any estimates as to what these might be worth?
Learn More...
Canada
8787 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What people are willing to pay for them... this auction had low reserves.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4430 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I guessed wrong on these units value, about 1500 a piece with juice and taxes included for an unpopular set of Olympic coins. There is a chance there are more of these out there, but good luck to buyer seems like one person purchased the lot. The great thing with auctions, there is your market value answer for today anyway
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05