Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Info On What Appears To Be Backwards One On Date

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive learned a lot from the community over the last almost 2 years but I really think this coin is a rpm. If you look at some other rpms for coins within a couple years of this run there are some that dont look nearly as plausible as this one snd yet are still considered such. Just my one cents
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41629 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a contact mark on the mintmark. If it were a RPM, then the area in question would be raised, not flattened:

Note the tags at the bottom of some images? Those are the images I took for Coppercoins.com
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  03:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know exactly what you are talking about coop. Its not the mintmark I'm talking about, its the raised portion coming off the bottom of the 9. To me it looks like either an old mint mark, a mm that jumped once when the guy was punching it into the die and it landed way off course. Everyone has said they are positive its a die gouge. It exactly fits the corner of a D mint mark for that year range, its a touch thinner because it was punched on the bounce and didnt get the force of a full hit. and if you look at the corresponding line that runs through the 9 you'll notice that line is incuse. If that mark I'm talking about was caused by a gouge then the line that continues extending on from it would be raised through the 9 and not incused, which it is. Think about it, if you accidentally punched a mint mark over a date, the punch wpuld.push the metal away and it would fill any negative spaces on the die in turn causing a small incused ridge on the 9.
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wexler has one that is very similar listed as I think 1956D wrpm-57 where the D is stamped over the date.i just think this is super early or maybe they caught it right off the bat
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05