Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Found Someones Dump Bank

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  07:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I haven't even found a LWC. The teller told me they get lots of customer rolled coins. I got excited and planed to open an account. I took the $20 limit in pennies for non account holders as a test batch. But I'm having trouble finding anything in them. The bank has a $200 special for new accounts so I may still open an account. My current bank has a free coin counter.
What is your best source for unsearched pennies?
I offered a co worker 20% over face value for his old penny jar. I'll get it when he cleans out in preparation to move.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4571 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why can't you order a box of cents from the bank?
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been cent roll hunting for many, many years. I'd estimate that the rolls have been about evenly split between customer-wrapped and commercially-wrapped (Loomis, Garda, etc.). Across all that time my wheat find rate is around 1 in 1,500. A few years ago I came across several customer-wrapped rolls at one time which were about 90% wheat--haven't seen that before or since.

Not everyone who turns customer-wrapped rolls in at a bank is a roll searcher/coin collector/copper hoarder. In my experience, a few are, most aren't. Best source for unsearched cents? There's no way to be 100% certain that customer-wrapped rolls haven't been searched. For me, I obtain rolls wherever and whenever I can, and just go with what comes. It becomes a factor of volume--the more rolls one goes through, the better the chance of finding interesting coins (over time). The best I've done with cent rolls picked up at banks: five Indian Head cents, three 1909Ps (one a VDB), a few dozen teens (three D mints), a 1926S in fine condition, a dozen or so steel cents, and a good number of wheat die cracks, lamination peels,and a modest number of RPMs and DDOs/DDRs. And that's just for wheats. Have found many cool LMCs too.

If you live in a large, densely-populated region like the Northeast, chances are excellent that there are some serious roll searchers not too far from you, out there looking.
Edited by ijn1944
12/05/2019 09:13 am
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I was averaging 1 LWC per customer wrapped roll from another bank. I also did well with a box of circulated pennies. But now they only have brand new pennies in the box. I still have 28 rolls of 2018 pennies.
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This looks like a dump roll. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3835 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any roll deposited is a 'dump roll', depending how you look at it.
You'll get your best results holding multiple accounts with different banks.
This way you'll be able to sample many different sources.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Any roll deposited is a 'dump roll'"
That is true. But a well searched roll yields no treasures.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before opening, how can one differentiate between a cent roll wrapped plainly by someone who's not a collector--just emptying a jar half full of cents and not paying attention to what's being wrapped, from a cent roll wrapped plainly by a hardened Lincoln cent collector with expert credentials?

Both rolls having 50 pieces, both wrapped in common brown cent wrappers with red markings.
Edited by ijn1944
12/06/2019 5:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Check chrisof4's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am shocked any banks still take rolls back. Mine only take loose change and insist on running it through the machine. The bank sends the coins to the fed in bags where they get rolled. Maybe that is just a midwest thing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3835 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am shocked any banks still take rolls back. Mine only take loose change and insist on running it through the machine. The bank sends the coins to the fed in bags where they get rolled. Maybe that is just a midwest thing?
Mythical. Those coins rarely go back to the Fed reserve. Instead, they are rolled locally by the courier. Redistributed locally.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Check chrisof4's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A mistake on my part regarding where the bank sends the bags. The point is still valid that my local banks don't accept customer rolls.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3835 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chrisof4

No mistake, if a courier is short, they hit up the Federal Reserve ( which is a private bank that is not gov't owned btw).
You're right most banks don't accept rolled coin, but some do especially if they don't want to house a counter, which can be very expensive to maintain.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dump bank--two branches of the same bank--accept my dump rolls. I'm careful not to bring too many in at a time, and I take pains not to short any of the rolls. Branch tellers and managers know me well--having transacted with them for several years. I'm lucky.
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the cent roll pictured above a note was written on it and later scribbled out. Indicates to me that someone was using this roll sleeve to save a specific kind of pennies and recycled the paper sleeve to a dump roll. And I found no treasures in it.
Edited by TwistedTrader
12/07/2019 08:43 am
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, anything interesting found in the roll? I've come across some rolls with 'marked' sleeves/wrappers in the past. As I recall, nearly all contained a typical mix of LMC and LSC, with maybe half of the LMCs being copper. None were solid dates or mints--just a mix. Did have an occasional 40s/50s wheat or Canadian cent, but rarely.
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing of interest found in that roll.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05