Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896 Large Cent With Extensive Die Cracks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
746 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  11:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I really like late die state large cents and I found this 1896 recently with a nice obverse crack that goes most of the way around the coin.

1896 is a date with a lot of interesting obverse die cracks.

Valued Member
Canada
455 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a keeper! I've seen 1894 large cents with a similar obverse die crack presence. And the bolder the crack the more impressive the coin. Very nice!
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My goodness that is a beautiful vicky cent!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1433 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a very nice high grade coin that shows the example of the die crack, I have a 1893 that has a similar die crack going around the coin in the beads and out through the odd letter nice coin Phil310
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1452 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phil310 a very nice coin
It must have been a bad year for broken dies
My 1896

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
746 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. It looks like the mint had a lot of obverse die breakage during the years 1893-1896, but the reverses seemed to hold up a lot better during those years.

The information in the large cent variety section in the back of the 2011 Charlton shows the mint produced 165 obverse dies and only 71 reverse dies during those years. That is just the opposite of the situation during the 1858-1859 years.

Don, that's a beautiful 96 and your photography really shows the die cracks well!
Edited by Phil310
12/09/2019 08:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2696 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phil ... But I'm not sure how many years worth of Obverse working dies were used. The dies made for one year probably carried over to other years. The 58-59 years were just used for those years.... and the dies broke much more rapidly, especially the Reverse ones with the intricate leaf pattern. The worst cause for the 58-59 was that the planchets were 1/3 thinner than the later years or the Brit half penny (the thinner Canadian planchets were struck by the same presses as the thicker Brit half penny (same diameter).
Edited by okiecoiner
12/09/2019 10:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
746 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right Bill about not knowing how many dies were actually used each year and I expect some of the obverse dies produced carried over and were used during the next year as you said. Still the ratio of obverse dies to reverse dies produced during those two periods are very different.

The small leaf design probably helped extend the life of the reverse dies as well as the thicker planchets as you mentioned. I guess the question I have is why so many more obverse dies cracked during 1893-1896. The answer could be as simple as poor quality steel used for the dies or improper heat treating or tempering causing the dies to be more brittle than they should be. I guess we'll never know for sure, but it's fun to speculate.

Edited by Phil310
12/09/2019 11:10 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05