Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Museum Partnership For Exhibition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

39 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been to few museums in USA , Canada and Europe and I feel while some have a comprehensive coin section , but many lack such comprehensive collection that covers many varieties. My collection as of now consists of 350 coins of gold and silver from Lydia, Greek, Roman, parthian, Sasanian and Islamic. I always thought how would it be possible to have my coin in a museum exhibition. Any thoughts? Is there any criteria for museums to show private collections in public exhibitions as loaner?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4644 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think you'd have to formally propose the idea to the numismatic departments at the museums you are considering. Never hurts to inquire.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4644 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, I want to see some of those Parthians!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16327 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The size of your collection of ancient coins at around 300, is about the size of mine, although my overall collection numbers into the thousands.

A good museum collection needs a good professional numistmatist museum curator, and I would think that to support this investment in public money, that such a museum collection would need to be much larger than ours.

What would make good sense to my way of thinking, would be to loan or give your very best coins only to a museum, where the professional curator can pick and choose out of your private collection, such that it supports the public museum collection.

What many collectors of ancient coins do, upon their death, is to will the whole of their collection to a public museum, for all to enjoy and study. This is probably the main way in which museum collections grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16327 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never considered that I actually own an ancient coin.

When looking at an ancient coin, it has obviously had very many "owners" over the centuries. As a result, I have never considered myself as anything more than a custodian, (not an owner), and responsibly looking after the coin, before passing that responsibility on to the next "owner".

Somewhat similar to the role of a museum curator.
39 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob. I did send an email a while ago to one of the museums I was considering to do partnership with but they did not responded back so I guess they took it as a joke?

Here are some of my Parthians. There are many more which I try to upload them later on

39 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely do not want to donate them just now, but I was thinking to loan some to a museum for an exhibition of some time (couple months) and then get them back once exhibition is over.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10512 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you will just have to contact the right people in the right places. Include examples of what you have to loan that is relevant to the museum and gauge interest. Just because one museum has no interest doesn't mean another won't.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Learn More...
United States
22750 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  04:15 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would contact the American Numismatic Society (ANS) to see if they would be interested in your collection or if they might be able to provide information on a museum that would. http://numismatics.org/

Very nice Parthian collection.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16327 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Short term loan for a specific museum exhibition is just fine.
Check that they have the responsibility for whatever coin you may loan, for the term of the exhibition period.

A bit like museums loaning art objects to each other, for specific exhibition purposes.
39 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Echizento that might be a great option to contact ANS. I will try that route. @sel_69 yes That is exactly what I meant a short term loan for an exhibition.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add museumguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yazul,

There are many considerations for a museum when it comes to exhibitions, let alone collections that are owned by a private collector such as yourself. Loan agreements can be very sticky meaning that most museums will not take on a loan if there are too many impositions from the loaner like when to display the collection, how to display the collections, etc. Of course there are insurance and security considerations as well. Here in the US and I'm sure in Canada as well, many museums are working with the communities they serve to actually co-create exhibitions, actually polling the community to see if they would be interested in such an exhibit and in some cases having members of the community provide some input into exhibit development. It's more and more about community rather than the top down approach where museums tell the community what they think they want to see! Finally, an exhibit of coinage such as your collection, although a easy draw for most of us on this forum, for the general audience, putting the coins in some kind of historical/artistic context as part of a much larger themed exhibit would probably be more appealing to the curators. Remember, most museums have their exhibit schedules planned out several years in advance! Keep trying though and good luck.

Steve S.
39 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob did you check out my parthians? I love to see your parthians too. By the way I have a very nice bronze marlik sword from 1200 BC
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05