Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Fake Or Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 658Next Topic  

Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  05:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Moj27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello there.
I was hoping for some advice and guidance please.
I'm very new to collecting and recently at auction I made a purchase and this guy was a surprise amongst it all.
Iv done a little research and please correct me if I'm wrong but Ancient Greek- Caria, Rhodes 280-295 bc. Obverse of Helios
I'm having enough trouble with decimal coins, this I has thrown me.
It's a little smaller then a 20c coin and weighs roughly 6.33g.
So is this real or fake ?

Thankyou to anyone that maybe able to help out, very much appreciated.
Even if it's not real iv loves the history lesson .
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moj27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I thought I had posted both sides

Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  08:44 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a gold plated fake to me but I am no expert on ancients.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8873 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a souvenir to me.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
23127 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A tourist fake.
Learn More...
Australia
13363 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you can tell from my avatar, I have a Rhodian silver coin of similar design.

Genuine Rhodes didrachms and tetradrachms are quite thick, especially near the edge; you would have a hard time punching a hole through the edge of my coin, and you would probably destroy the coin in any attempt to do so, since silver becomes brittle as it ages, so that attempting to drill a deep hole though a 2300 year old silver coin will likely shatter it.

They also weigh a lot more than 6 grams. If it's "about the size of an Australian 20 piece", then it's probably supposed to be a tetradrachm, which should weigh more like 13-14 grams.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2019  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moj27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou very much everyone and cheers Sap, I really appreciate the knowledge and explanation as to why.
As I mentioned, I'm quite fresh in the collecting world and even though it's not the real deal she took me down a road of history that I'm now going to continue down. Thanks again guys.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 658Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05