Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin Mint - National Commemorative Society Medals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
473 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  3:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anybody here actively collect National Commemorative Society Medals...? They were produced by the Franlin Mint back in the 60s and 70s. It's a gorgeous and long-running series with 150 issues (plus a few extras they re-issued when they discovered errors).

I have a bunch of these and wonder if I'm the only one on here who likes them...?

I'm sure that most of these went to the smelter back in the 80s...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1760 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a list of them with issue dates and issue costs anywhere?
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen a list etc online but I know there's a hardcopy catalogue with that info - I saw a screenshot in another forum... I have the complete set with a bunch of paperwork but I never put the medals in order. I might go through the newsletters and put together a spreadsheet just for fun. It's 150 pieces so I usually just pick a few here and there to admire. Then they got back in the box. The set came with an optional display case but I don't have that so it's a bit harder to enjoy... :(

I got thinking about this set a couple weeks ago after reading a post on another forum.

The poster discussed "a silver medal designed by ... Felix Schlag ... featuring Chief John Big Tree, one of the models that James Earle Fraser used in designing the Buffalo nickel... thought to be Schlag's final work before he passed away..."

Of course, he was talking about one of the medals in this set and I was excited to have one in hand :)

https://forums.collectors.com/discu...-to-nerd-out
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4201 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are nice medals. Like most Franklin Mint silver, they continue to go to melt once they reach a dealer as there is little to no market. Maybe that will help them become collectable in the long run...
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping to spark some conversation about this set but looks like not much interest.

FWIW, this was the set that "started it all" as they say. From what I read, the people who formed the National Commemorative Society initially hired a mint to make their medals, but after 5 issues they instead formed the Franklin Mint to produce the medals in-house. Reding through the newsletters, I learned that their are several error medals in the set. For example, the Albert Einstein medal has the wrong year of birth, so the Society offered a correct version to members (at additional cost). Another medal has the wrong layout of stars on the US flag but the artist insisted it was fine and that he used artistic license in his design.

But like @checquer said, most of these medals end up in the pot. I just listed mine for sale here on the forum and I hope that someone who actually collects medals will buy them. I'd hate to see them smelted.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick update: as I feared, there's just not much interest in these old medals. I offered mine for sale here on the forum awhile ago but found no interest. I even offered the complete set below melt but no bites. Very strange I thought! Silver below melt but no offers. What is this world coming to? Oh, well. So the medals are off to the refinery in a couple weeks pending a last minute reprieve from the governor's office ;)

Unfortunately I just don't have time to photograph the medals and post a bit about each of them (like I did with a Longines medal series last year). But I still have the newsletters and a book about the society and the medals. I'm hoping to find an exonumia collector who wants those...
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 24M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that #29 Pearl Harbor and #108 Chester W. Nimitz are key medals for Hawaii collectors. #29 is listed in Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog, 2nd edition, 1991, by Medcalf & Russel. #108 was left out as an oversight.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted Today  54M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DrDarryl -

Sounds like you have a good working knowledge of medals!

If you know anyone who needs those particular medals please let me know. I'd hate to send them to the smelter...
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05