Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1863 Farthing A Mint Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 536Next Topic  

47 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  12:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ioana to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, dear Members! Could you, please advise me if this farthing is a mint error ( double die ) or not? If it's not, does is still worth something as it's a scarce date? Thank you!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1856 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please tell us where you see doubling. The marks under the date seem to be areas less worn or unaffected by verdigris, to me. I'd grade this as VF overall, though the obverse is better and the reverse worse.

As it's a rare date, I think it's worth about 30 but I would prefer not to buy a coin with that much verdigris.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Valued Member
United Kingdom
413 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  03:55 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I go along with Pertinax. The shadow effect around some of the letters looks more like dirt or verdigris than a double strike.

It is a scarce date - the key date for the Bronze Victorian Farthings, and I know many Farthing collectors who waited a long time to get one. In that condition, 30 is about right.

It may benefit from very careful cleaning - a soak in warm soapy water may clear most of the gunk. After that a short soak in Surgical spirit or Acetone may improve it further. Then check to see how much of the gunk is verdigris and how much just dirt. Gentle picking with a cocktail stick may loosen any resilient lumps.
47 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ioana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all! God! I wish I knew as much as you do, which for most of you must be coming from years and years of studying Numismatics.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's listed on Ebay, where it is described as EF.
EF? Not even close.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarce-1...AOSwBTld8qv5
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1856 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's listed on Ebay, where it is described as EF.
EF? Not even close.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarce-1...AOSwBTld8qv5

Where a grade is mentioned, all her/his other coins are overgraded; some seem to be misdescribed.

This seller should be reported.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05