Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thai 10 Satang Coin - What Year And Grade Please?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Netherlands
9 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  2:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cavebear to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've started to sort out my childhood coin collection. This seems a 10 satang coin from Thailand (1908-1939). I need help with the year and grade though. I don't know enough about the grading system yet (the one that uses numbers) but, besides it being dirty, I'd say the condition is 'fair'.

Any help is appreciated.

Cavebear

Pillar of the Community
United States
3168 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP check numista, it details on how you can tell the year/date
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2019  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date is 2464, reading from left to right in the second photo.

One key to Thai dating is at
http://portlandcoins.blogspot.com/2...d-dates.html

To change from Buddhist Era (BE) dating to AD, subtract 543, so 2464-543 = 1921 AD

It's 10 Satang, Y#37

Personally I would grade it somewhere between F and VF, so F+.
Edited by Seeker55
12/15/2019 3:21 pm
Netherlands
9 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cavebear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Seeker55. The link is very helpful as well as it's all quite new to me.

Should I clean the coin and if so how should that be done?

Cavebear

Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bjherbison to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The standard response to "should I clean <any> coin" is "No!".

A cleaned coin generally looks worse and it's value is reduced.

Value is not an significant factor in this case. My 2015 Krause gives a value for this year of VF20: $1.00; XF40: $1.25; MS60: $3.00; with no value given for F. It's not a candidate for an expert restoration of the appearance.

Personally I think it looks reasonable now. There isn't design hidden by the black stuff, and it actually highlights the design. Some collectors would soak it in acetone.
Netherlands
9 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cavebear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bjherbison: thanks a lot, that is a helpful reply. When I was a child/youngster I remember cleaning coins with silver polish or copper polish. In those days it was 'good practice' to clean absolutely everything. Those polishes were readily available in every Dutch household. So my mother had it as well and I found the effect interesting. Although I must have forgotten this coin...

Cleaning has since then become much less important as a Dutch cultural phenomenon and I have happily drifted along.
Edited by cavebear
12/19/2019 11:56 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05